Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
WiFi Network Issues after M8 Lollipop Update
rangerscorn

After the lollipop update some apps do not recognize that I am connected to my home Wi-Fi. Twitter, Feedly, amazon, Zillow, etc. error out and claim I am not connected to the internet. These apps start working after I turn off Wi-Fi. Some apps do work like Gmail, and YouTube. I have factory reset my phone and it still does not work. I have even factory reset my WNDR4500 Netgear router with no change. The Wi-Fi does work properly when I used the public Wi-Fi at Starbucks.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: WiFi Network Issues after M8 Lollipop Update
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
Rangerscorn,  You've come to the right place for help.  How long ago was the software updated?  It usually takes 2-3 days for the phone to normalize after the software update has been completed.  Are you having other issues beside WiFi connection?  Please share details so we can investigate this issue further.  EmmaM_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
0 Likes
rangerscorn

The over the air upgrade was pushed to my phone (red M8) and my wife's phone (grey M8) on the 9th of march. Both of our phones are suffering from the same Wi-Fi problems. I have run into a few hotspots that work and a few that do not. We had factory reset and reinstalled all apps on the 11th after we experienced problems. All the apps work fine when connected to 4g and some Wi-Fi.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
Rangerscorn,  I appreciate the information you have provided.  Have you had the opportunity to put phones in safe mode http://vz.to/1CabO8G? Did you notice a difference after you did a master reset on the phones?  Keep us posted.  EmmaM_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
0 Likes
rangerscorn

I have tried the safe mode and there is no change in any of the apps when in safe mode. I have replaced my Wireless router with a brand new one and the issue is still present. There was no change after the master reset. I will be doing another today and install apps one at a time.

0 Likes
rangerscorn

I have done another master reset on my (Red M8 with the new phone option, no settings from old phone) and a factory reset on my brand new Netgear AC2350 wireless router and the apps still return a connection error. This error persists through safe mode as well. Downloaded one app to test it didn't work. Uninstalled it and tried another app that was not working. Rinse repeat for four different apps. They still do not work on WIFI but they do with 4g.

This does not seem to be an isolated issue. How do I fix it?

WiFi Network Issues after M8 Lollipop Update - Bing

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support
rangerscorn, we appreciate all you've attempted thus far with your router and your M8. Have you possible tried changing the broadcast channel through your router? Switch from the default 6 to maybe 1 or 11?

Also, is your router broadcasting in a mixed B,G,N network? Any difference if you switch to just N or only B, and G?

NicandroN_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
rangerscorn

I have tried all you have suggested, and there has been no change in either of our phones. What I do see is that there is an issue with how it handles DNS. So far the only DNS servers it will currently connect through are the 75.75.75.75 Comcast DNS servers. I have tried Google DNS and open DNS but they still exhibit the same issues with some apps not working. The rest of my computers in the house function just fine with what ever DNS is provided to them. I am using a workaround right now where the phones are on a static IP address with the Comcast DNS servers manually input. While this makes almost all the apps work they are painfully slow over wifi, and still some apps like Google will not work with those DNS setting.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Verizon tech told me 3 days ago while I was having a similar issue, that in Lollipop some apps actually have a permission to turn OFF wifi in favor of mobile data.

0 Likes
Snn5
Sr. Leader

Strange thing is that those same apps cannot turn OFF data.

0 Likes