alarms and notification sounds stopped working
traypup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Two days after my friend (on a different network, in a different city, with a different make and model phone) said this happened to her, it started happening to me and it's making me insane.

Ringtones work just fine when my phone rings or when I select a new ringtone. Alarms and text alerts suddenly do not. Not even when trying to select a new notification sound. When I connected my M9 to my bluetooth headphones, I was able to hear the new alarm notification sound as I chose it on the selection screen.

I have tried these things:

confirmed that Do Not Disturb is off

turned bluetooth off

checked volume settings for apps and phone

disabled Messages+ and tried using the other messenger app

disabled all unused apps

rebooted the phone

rebooted the phone in safe mode

turned the phone off completely, waited and restarted

Finally, at the suggestion of HTC via Twitter, I did a factory reset. STILL NO SOUND.

It's difficult to function when my tools aren't functioning. and this is completely random that it's all stopped working properly. I thought my friend was crazy when she told me her phone just stopped working properly, but you know what? Now I'm crazy, too. Any suggestions, VZW?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: alarms and notification sounds stopped working
traypup
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up going to the store and switching out for another phone. It was becoming too much of a difficulty. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

This is certainly a very strange situation Tracey. Particularly since you have done a factory reset as outlined in your post. A factory reset would be the ultimate troubleshooting step in our resources. Please ensure that you followed the steps at this link http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-151362/  and make sure that you disable Automatic Restore as per this link http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-150563/  when you complete factory reset.
Is there any physical, or water damage to your phone?

AntonioC_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
traypup
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did follow those instructions and there has been no damage to my phone at all.

Calls don't ring now, either. At least the vibrate is working so I can sort of know when someone is calling.

0 Likes
momsquam

I just started a post also before I saw yours.  I started having the same problem a few days ago.  It started right after I installed the latest software update. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Oh goodness, trayup. We certainly didn't intend for any added troubles with that reset. But thanks for trying. If you text yourself, do you get the notification sound? Is this occuring on every single call and message or just from particular people or during a apecific time? I do want to check a few things in the newer settings for your phone. Please follow the steps at http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-152017 to check your Interruptions option and make sure it's not set to only allow during a particular time or from priority people by default after the update.

JenniferH_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
traypup
Enthusiast - Level 2

I went to that page to follow the steps and none of the menu items were labeled on my phone as described in the instructions, but I went in and found the equivalents and everything seems to be the way it should be. And remember, I have set my phone to vibrate for notifications, so I am getting notifications when there are calls or texts. I just have to be near my phone to hear/feel the vibration.

0 Likes
traypup
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sorry...I forgot to add that it happens all of the time, and with all calls, alarms and texts, not just specific ones. I texted myself and there was no sound notification.

Yesterday, I had a number of calls and I missed all of them except one because I happened to be sitting on my phone and felt the vibration. Happy birthday to me!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

That's a bit puzzling, traypup. You should be seeing the same things in the instructions. I'd like to ask that you follow the steps at http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-151040 and share the Software Number as well as select "More" from the Software Information screen and share the Baseband Version and Software Status with me. 

JenniferH_VZW

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

traypup,

I definitely hope that other than this you had an awesome birthday! We want to make sure you can always stay in touch. Can you think of any other recent changes around the time this started? Can you try the phone in safe mode http://vz.to/1nyhh3A to see if that helps?

AndrewT_VZW

0 Likes
traypup
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ended up going to the store and switching out for another phone. It was becoming too much of a difficulty. Thanks for the suggestions, though!

0 Likes