Re: htc one m8 crashing
markdoc
Enthusiast - Level 2

I don't need to say that I agree with Spoiter.  What I want to add is twofold.  First, disabling the app didn't help me.  You have to follow his directions. Second, to keep the updates from reinstalling and driving you nuts, you need to turn off autoupdate for "Android System Webview".  It's easy.  Go to Google Play, to the "Android System Webview" page.  On the upper right there are three dots.  Tap the dots to bring down an "Auto-update" check box. It will only be there if the app is installed on your phone.  Make sure the check box is cleared. That's it. No more reinstalling.

Cmmccolgan

I am also having this problems with multiple apps but I followed the comments in following posts it resolved the issue but this is just a interim fix. Does anyone know when this issue will be resolved?

0 Likes
bpupnorth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'll guess it won't get resolved until whoever has responsibility takes ownership and fixes it. Google has said nothing. Verizon told me to contact each developer, Zynga Words With Friends, Ookla Speedtest, Key Ring, etc., and tell them THEY need to fix their app. I have done a couple with stupid responses like "Send a screen shot" of the app. I don't know how to send a screen shot of an app that has shutdown and is gone..... I was a software engineer for almost 30 years before retiring and I would have likely been fired for something like this.....

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
We want to ensure you have a working phone Jns613. What exactly is going on with your phone? What update did install on your phone? Please share details.

Thank You,
MichelleS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!
0 Likes
spioter
Enthusiast - Level 2

spioter here again - you can track the issue yourself here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=481937

It might take a while bc first they have to fix a "crash reporting bug" before they can fix the actual crashing Smiley Sad - no crash data is being generated and sent to the developers - e.g. this bug is not triggering the normal process which acknowledges the crash and prompts the user with an offer to send in the crash data.

0 Likes
spioter
Enthusiast - Level 2

MichelleS_VZW - there is a known bug with Android System WebView - the latest update causes many applications to crash on the HTC M8.

Google is working on the fix here: https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=481937

Please advise your reps at stores to be on the look out for this problem - the temporary fix is to uninstall updates for this one component (Android System WebView ) per my first post. Unfortunately, it often reinstalls automatically so we have to keep uninstalling. Again - you must uninstall the updates, not disable the app and not uninstall the entire app.

Thanks,

Alex

0 Likes
JKucera

Are you using an HTC One M8? Because under the Webview app, after following these directions, I do not have an option of choosing "Uninstall Updates". I have seen this fix on multiple website but this button does not exist as far as I can tell.

0 Likes
spioter
Enthusiast - Level 2

yes i am on htc one m8

the "uninstall update" disappears if you have already uninstalled it - at which point the version should say:

Android System WebView version 37 (1602158-arm)

what does your version say?

0 Likes
JKucera

My version reads the same, version 37 (1602158-arm).

I went to Google Play, updated the app, and afterwards found I could uninstall the update.  Must have been messing around with uninstalling the whole app too much.

So I'm at the same spot that is suggested, and the app I've been wanting to use is still crashing (Kabam's Marvel Contest of Champions).  I've spoken with Kabam.

Seems like all we can do at this point is...wait?

0 Likes
spioter
Enthusiast - Level 2

I believe they have fixed the component  - or at least improved it. Some folks are complaining about animated gif's not working.

They issued a new release on April 28th and I've installed it and the apps that used to crash now work (only a few minutes of testing admittedly, but it used to crash immediately on opening apps): Android System WebView - Android Apps on Google Play

0 Likes