screen issues
MDetwiler38501
Enthusiast - Level 3

The top 10% of my display on my M8 is not functioning. While information still appears, you cannot swipe down or delete apps by dragging to top of screen. HELP!!

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: screen issues
Snn5
Legend

I would start the phone in safe mode first to make sure no wild acting app was at fault.

1. Press and hold the Powerbutton (located on the top edge of the device) until the 'Phone options' prompt appears then release.
  2. Touch and hold Power off until the 'Reboot to safe mode' prompt appears then release.
  3. From the 'Reboot to safe mode' prompt, tap RESTART to confirm.
    Note Allow approximately 1 minute for the process to complete.
    Note Upon reboot, 'Safe mode' appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen.

If that wasnt the case, you might Factory Reset the phone.

1. From a Home screen, tap AppsApps icon (located at the bottom).
  2. Tap Settings.
    Note If unavailable, tap the Dropdown menuApplications dropdown menu icon (located in the upper left) then tap Alphabetical. If still unavailable, refer toManage App Icons.
  3. From the PERSONAL section, tap Backup & reset.
    Note To determine if an issue is caused by a third-party app, uncheck Automatic Restore.
  4. From the RESET section, tap Reset phone.
    Note If presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern.
  5. If desired, select Erase SD card to delete all files on the SD card, including music and photos.
    Note Selected when a check mark is present.
  6. Tap OK.
  7. From the 'Warning' screen, tap OK.
    Note Allow up to 10 minutes for the factory data reset and reboot processes to complete.
    Note To setup the device after the reset has completed, refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

If that did not work I would call Verizon and seek a warranty replacement.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Snn5
Legend

I would start the phone in safe mode first to make sure no wild acting app was at fault.

1. Press and hold the Powerbutton (located on the top edge of the device) until the 'Phone options' prompt appears then release.
  2. Touch and hold Power off until the 'Reboot to safe mode' prompt appears then release.
  3. From the 'Reboot to safe mode' prompt, tap RESTART to confirm.
    Note Allow approximately 1 minute for the process to complete.
    Note Upon reboot, 'Safe mode' appears in the lower left of the unlock/home screen.

If that wasnt the case, you might Factory Reset the phone.

1. From a Home screen, tap AppsApps icon (located at the bottom).
  2. Tap Settings.
    Note If unavailable, tap the Dropdown menuApplications dropdown menu icon (located in the upper left) then tap Alphabetical. If still unavailable, refer toManage App Icons.
  3. From the PERSONAL section, tap Backup & reset.
    Note To determine if an issue is caused by a third-party app, uncheck Automatic Restore.
  4. From the RESET section, tap Reset phone.
    Note If presented, enter the current passcode or draw the unlock pattern.
  5. If desired, select Erase SD card to delete all files on the SD card, including music and photos.
    Note Selected when a check mark is present.
  6. Tap OK.
  7. From the 'Warning' screen, tap OK.
    Note Allow up to 10 minutes for the factory data reset and reboot processes to complete.
    Note To setup the device after the reset has completed, refer to Initial Activation and Setup.

If that did not work I would call Verizon and seek a warranty replacement.

0 Likes
MDetwiler38501
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you for the advice Snn5 - I booted into safe mode and still have the issue.

I'm not thinking it was caused by a random app because it has been progressively getting worse. At first, it would take a couple of scrolls to make the app 'drawer'/pulldown menu to work...then a day or two later, I had to put my finger on the perfect place to get it to pull. Now, it won't pull down at all and in order to get to it, I have to rotate the phone to landscape mode while opening an app like Hangouts in order to make it work.

I'll swing by the VZW corporate store in my town tomorrow morning and see what they say.

0 Likes
MDetwiler38501
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sorry for not replying directly to you -

Thank you for the advice Snn5 - I booted into safe mode and still have the issue.

I'm not thinking it was caused by a random app because it has been progressively getting worse. At first, it would take a couple of scrolls to make the app 'drawer'/pulldown menu to work...then a day or two later, I had to put my finger on the perfect place to get it to pull. Now, it won't pull down at all and in order to get to it, I have to rotate the phone to landscape mode while opening an app like Hangouts in order to make it work.

I'll swing by the VZW corporate store in my town tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Snn5
Legend

Good luck!

0 Likes
MDetwiler38501
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you very much. I'll report back on what happened. VZW has always been ready to help. Of course, it is a good thing if you, as a customer, aren't in there every month belly-aching about every minor detail.

Snn5
Legend

Yes, decency and respect go both ways right?

0 Likes
MDetwiler38501
Enthusiast - Level 3

Always...act like a fool, get treated like a fool. Act like a rational adult, it is amazing how far people will go to help. Smiley Happy

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Those were some great steps to try, MDetwiler38501. Did you end up visiting a store? Did you try the 2nd step that Snn5 had suggested going as far as a full reset? Please keep us posted. We're here to help!

JenniferH_VZW

Follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/vzwsupport

0 Likes
MDetwiler38501
Enthusiast - Level 3

I didn't go try the second step as it didn't seem logical to go through the hassle of a complete wipe.

I did go to the VZW corporate store and we used the HTC diagnostic tests to determine where the screen didn't work. The rep (Jaqui) at the Cookeville, TN store sent the test to the VZW tech support she was speaking with and they determined they should replace the device under warranty.

It took less than 30 minutes and I expect to have the replacement device on Tuesday.

Glad to have such a positive experience with VZW and glad to have a warranty on such a great device.