A few DVR / Internet questions
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I am holding off buying a WD DVR Extender until the release of IMG 1.9 (Bucks County, PA). I have a couple questions about using external storage:

1. In what format (.avi, .ts, .mpg, etc) are the recordings ?

2. Can the recordings be off-loaded to my computer for storage there ?

3. Will it be possible to move DVR recordings from the internal drive to the external one ?

As far as internet goes, I have 35/35 now and want to upgrade my wired network to gigabit. I understand Verizon won't issue the gigabit router unless you pick their top plan (150gb) which is mucho-expensive. Is there another way to achieve a gigabit network ? My actiontec router is fed with coax instead of CAT5e.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: A few DVR / Internet questions
MercerNick65
Contributor - Level 1

1) It's a proprietary format.

2) No they are encrypted and cannot be moved.

3) No the DVR decides where something goes, I believe the rule is recordings will go external first then internal.

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

Could you please link details on this "proprietary format" and the fact that it is "encrypted" and cannot be moved ? I wonder if it's similar to what TiVo uses. A little research shows that TiVo recordings can in fact be moved and watched on a computer.

Is DRM the reason today's recording are "encrypted" and made hard to move/watch on other devices ?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

What part of proprietary is not clear?  No one can link details of the format - it is property of the owner (Verizon).

Not only is it encrypted (as required by the content providers [yes DRM]) just like every channel on the system is (with the exception of the OTA channels and PEGs which are in clear QAM) you can't even move the external drive from one DVR to another without the new box requiring you to re-format the drive (all existing recordings are locked to the DVR that recorded them and would be lost if drive was moved to another box).

0 Likes
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I guess you didn't understand my question. I asked you if you could provide a link (internet) to a VZ page stating what you told me. (that it is proprietary, etc..). A google search did not help me.

As far as moving the expander drive, if I unplug it and hook it to my computer will that mysteriously cause it to self-destruct ? Why would this require my DVR to re-format again after hooking it back up ?

I'm trying to understand - that's all. I see you're a "Gold Contributor" but does that mean you work for Verizon ?

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@blueribb wrote:

As far as moving the expander drive, if I unplug it and hook it to my computer will that mysteriously cause it to self-destruct ? Why would this require my DVR to re-format again after hooking it back up ?

I'm trying to understand - that's all. I see you're a "Gold Contributor" but does that mean you work for Verizon ?

You misunderstood my statement.  If you hooked the drive up to a DIFFERENT DVR it would have to be re-formatted (the content is coded somehow to the specific DVR on which it was formatted).

And no I am not a Verizon employee. Being a gold contributor just means I have been here a while (since the forum started), been helpful in trying to answer users questions, and in general help other subscribers.  That is also why I was one of the first group invited to be a part of the group known as CL (Community Leaders) - a recognition for a fellow subscriber's contribution to the community.

I don't know that any of the information regarding encryption, formats, etc. has been published on any of the public boards.  I signed up for and was accepted into the beta test for 1.9 and was told by the developers during the testing that encryption and locking to a specific DVR were requirements by the content providers to allow the removeable storage.  I have not tested or verified this just as I have never tried to to find a way to break the QAM encryption.  If you wish to try and crack the sytem then that is up to you.

0 Likes