Apple AIRPLAY issue w/ Acontech Router // IGMP Proxy needs to be DISABLED on router
Jeff1512
Enthusiast - Level 3

Airplay will not work unless I DISABLE the IGMP Proxy on my router.  Once I do that, the AirPlay icon appears on all my apple devices and can conned to AirPlay.    Does anyone know why this happens?  Are there any issues with setting the IGMP Proxy as "disabled"?

Thanks!

Labels (1)
Re: Apple AIRPLAY issue w/ Acontech Router // IGMP Proxy needs to be DISABLED on router
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I can't think of a single product that a consumer would need it enabled for.  Verizon as a business might be preparing for a new service offering, but it's not here yet, whatever it is. 

0 Likes
Re: Apple AIRPLAY issue w/ Acontech Router // IGMP Proxy needs to be DISABLED on router
Jeff1512
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can you explain to me what exactly an IGMP Proxy even is???

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Multicasting allows one computer on the Internet to send content to multiple other computers that have identified themselves as interested in receiving the originating computer's content.

When is IGMP used?
It is used when one host needs to send data to many destination hosts (multicasting). Read More »

What is use of IGMP protocol?
internet graphic Microsoft PowerPoint Read More »

Some of that is foreign to me as to how a home user would benifit unless they were doing something more than a regular normal internet user would do.  

I think it's more for Verizon than it is for you,  but I have a really elementary knowledge of it. sorry I couldn't give you a better breakdown on it.

0 Likes
rondracek

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!  I have been pulling my hair out over this problem for 1 month!  Was almost ready to take the AppleTV to the Apple store because I couldn't get it to work (even did a factory restore on it, what a waste of time!).  So glad I checked here first.  Changing the IGMP Proxy to disabled worked like a charm (once I restarted the computer and router, that is)!

0 Likes
Chuckh19581
Enthusiast - Level 3

IGMP has nothing to do with "internet graphic microsoft powerpoint" as the one answer indicates. I cant update the answer on that site because it requires a facebook account and I dont want to sign up for facebook just to answer a question.

IGMP is used for multi-casting (one node sending the same data to multiple nodes). It stands for Intenernet Group Management Protocol. It allows nodes to register interest in content multi-casted from a single node.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igmp

I stumbled on this thread while trying to troubleshoot why my Windows Media Player streaming service stopped working. A recent update to the Actiontec software removed the link to the IGMP pages from the Advanced tab. You can still get to it though by going to...

https://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059