Can't get into router
leneal

Something that should be simple is completing eluding me.  At the risk of embarrassing myself, I'm hoping someone can point me to the obvious answer that I'm missing!

Goal:  I want to change my network encryption from the default WEP.

Problem:  I can't get past the router login.

Router:  Verizon MI424WR.

Username and Password:  I did not modify either of these during the install, so either they are default settings or the installer changed them and failed to write them down.  (I kept every piece of paper from the install.  Nothing.)  I have tried several possible default combinations and a few "maybe the installer did this" possibilities, including: 

-- "admin" + "password"

-- "admin" + serial number on the router label

-- "admin" + password on the router label

-- "admin" + WEP key

-- "admin" + verizon account password

-- verizon ID + "password"
     -- verizon ID + WEP key

-- verizon ID + verizon account password

Eventually I get locked out and told to wait a while before trying again.  Since it seems to stay locked no matter how long I wait, I eventually reboot the router and try new combinations. 

What I haven't tried:  I've not tried restoring the router to factory default settings.  I've been putting that off, for fear of tempting Murphy's Law and having other things go wrong post-reset.

Verizon In-Home Agent:  The installer put this application on my main pc, and I had never used it.   The Support page says it can access the router, so I launched it.  Immediately got error messages.  Figuring it was out of date, I downloaded a new version.  Get a different error message during install -- Line 8097 (File: "C:\Program Files\Verizon\FiOS\ihs\iHAStarter.exe"):  Error: Variable used without being declared.  Did an uninstall, a reinstall, and got the same message.

I've searched the Support page for some time now.  There is conflicting information on what the default username and password should be, and I tried all of them without success.  I also haven't found anyone else reporting the same install problem with the In-Home Agent, although I see I'm not the only one who is confounded by this program.

Is there something I'm missing?  Any alternatives at this point besides restoring the router factory settings?

Thanks for any and all advice!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't get into router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@leneal wrote:

Never mind.   The installer used "password1".    All good now.

Good to hear/read that.

@leneal wrote:

(Still in the market for how to fix In-Home Agent, if anyone has any insights.)

I point to http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Verizon-In-Home-Agent-runs-on-my-system-MAC-OSX-but-does-...

and quote from it.

a)

i like the online version of the app at www.verizon.com/repair  

you can do a lot of the functions of the app without all the bloatware.

b)

As other have said it does something, it waste resources.  Not sure on the MAC, but on PC's it has been none to drive at least one cpu to 100% (If you only have one its really bad).  And the number of functions it does that you might ever want to do is minimal.

Personally I recommend that you uninstall it, and make sure you get all pieces of it.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
leneal

Thanks, all!

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@leneal wrote:

Good to hear/read that.

@leneal wrote:

I point to http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Verizon-In-Home-Agent-runs-on-my-system-MAC-OSX-but-does-...

and quote from it.

a)

i like the online version of the app at www.verizon.com/repair  

you can do a lot of the functions of the app without all the bloatware.

b)

As other have said it does something, it waste resources.  Not sure on the MAC, but on PC's it has been none to drive at least one cpu to 100% (If you only have one its really bad).  And the number of functions it does that you might ever want to do is minimal.

Personally I recommend that you uninstall it, and make sure you get all pieces of it.

0 Likes