Fios Can I use a Dlink 655 rather than the supplied M1424WR ?
Sands2

I Understand the Actiontec M1424WR is a 802.11g.

I'd like 802.11n for over the air here at my home.

May I simply use a DIR 655 in place of the supplied Actiontec?

Thank you

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Fios Can I use a Dlink 655 rather than the supplied M1424WR ?
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

If your using Coax connection from the wall to the Router. Then, you may want to change from COAX to Ethernet.  You will have run your own Ethernet cable from the Verizon Box to your own supplied router.   If you change from COAX to ethernet. Then you can just use own router.  The only problem with using your own router.  Verizon does not support third party routers.  This is the problem I had.  I just stick to Verizon Router.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note if you have FIOS TV you will have problems.  Many hang a router off the supplied MI424WR and use it for everything but the TVs.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sands2 wrote:

I Understand the Actiontec M1424WR is a 802.11g.

I'd like 802.11n for over the air here at my home.

May I simply use a DIR 655 in place of the supplied Actiontec?

Thank you

Sure

but first you need to have verizon change the router provisioning from moca to ethernet - takes about 10 minutes on the phone with tech support.  Also if you have vz tv you will still need to hang the vz router off your dlink router to get vod, guide, caller id etc.

First connect the ethernet port in the ont to the ethernet wan port in the actiontec.  then call tech support and get them to change the provisioning.  Then reboot the router.

Certify that everything is working OK

Off network configure your dlink router to get a dhcp addr and to have it's dhcp server hand out on something other than 192.168.1 - maybe 192.168.0

If you have port forwarding rules in the vz router that pf to the 192.168.1 subnet config them in your dlink router forwarding to the corresponding 192.168.0 addrs

when youve' configd it

connect to the vz router and release the dhcp addr , apply the change and turn off the router.

tajke the ethernet connection going to the wan port of the vz router and connect it to the wan port of the dlink, power it on

Connect to it with a machine and make sureit got a dhcp addr ok

Connect whatever was ethernet connected to the vz router to the dlink router (be aware that the addrs are changing from the 192.161 subnet to 192.168.0 subnet.

connect a lan port from the dlink to the wan port of the vz router

That's basically it

Alternatively of course you could just bridge the vz router to the dlink by a lan port to lan port connect after configuring the dlink with an ip addr on 192.168.1 and no dhcp server - personally I went the other route as the fios routers are pretty much ng

0 Likes