Re: Fios MI424WR router won't let me apply change to IP address
kmadrid
Enthusiast - Level 2
I saw the original post, and if you read through my posts, I think you'll find that even though I followed all the steps, the problem I am trying to solve is that the secondary router will not let me change the IP address, regardless of what IP address I try to assign it. I do not have it connected to anything but my mac, and of course a power cord. I have disabled dhcp, and wan ppoe, and broadband connections on the secondary router. But still, when I go to change its IP address, it appears to crash, and does not reboot, and does not seem to respond to the new IP address even when I manually restart it, reconnect it by Ethernet to my mac, and enter 192.168.1.xxx (or whatever IP address I chose) in the browser address bar.
0 Likes
kmadrid
Enthusiast - Level 2
Sorry, not meaning to sound jerky, just want to clarify the situation ... I do appreciate the posts and advice, and I am following all the advice given, as far as I can tell.
0 Likes
DWS_ALRT
Enthusiast - Level 1

I think I found a solution. I did the following:

1. Shut down PC and main router.

2. Disconnect all devices plugged into router except the PC , coax and WAN.

3. Power both back up and log on to the router at 192.168.1.1

4. Change the IP start range to 1.192.168.1.11

5. Click apply, wait for router to reconfigure, then click apply again.

6. Then shut down the PC and disconnect the main router.

7. Reset the fios MI424WR to factory and connect it to you PC.

8. Power up both the PC and secondary Fios router with no other connections but the PC.

9. Access it and disable DHCP---disable all broadband connections---change permanent IP to 192.168.1.10

10.  You might have to press apply after disabling DHCP.

11. After having done all this and pressing apply ---- this is where the application will freeze.

12. After waiting patiently for 2-3 minutes I opened up a second tab in my brower while the application continued to whirl in the first tab and typed in the new address of 192.168.1.10

13 This brought up the login screen for the MI424WR.

14 Log in to the router with this address and notice if the static IP is in fact 192.168.1.10.

15. If it is close the 1st tab that is still whirling as above.

16. Log out of the router and close your browser.

If it worked as mine did you should be good to go. This is probably not a good IT fix but it did seem to work. I believe the PC is trying to access the router at 192.168.1.1  and that is what is causing the freeze and not the router.

0 Likes
kmadrid
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much! That worked! I don't know if it was changing the first ip to .11 first or if it was opening the admin site in a new tab while keeping the other one going (in earlier efforts I just closed the window and reopened), or what, but I'm very thankful for your post. THANKS!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@kmadrid wrote:

Thank you so much! That worked! I don't know if it was changing the first ip to .11 first or if it was opening the admin site in a new tab while keeping the other one going (in earlier efforts I just closed the window and reopened), or what, but I'm very thankful for your post. THANKS!

It's because after you changed the IP address of the router, your web browser is still addressing 192.168.1.1 even though the router is on the new address 192.168.x or whatever you set.
You need to open a new session on the address you changed the router to be at.