Home network
larryslade
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to connect my desktop pc, which is hardwired to the router, mi424wr, to my desktop pc downstairs, so I can share information. Obviously the two pc's are connected wirelessly.  I just chatted with an in home agent and he said he can't help me. That surprised me.  anyway, can anybody help me? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Home networking
larryslade
Enthusiast - Level 3

I want to connect my 2 desktops to share files. I have an Actiontec MI424WR router.  One computer uses Windows XP, the other Windows Vista. From what I've read, that's a big problem. Can I network the 2 computers?  Is it better to set up a wired hookup?  Even though the Verizon sites I've gone to say In Home Agent will help me, they say they won't.  Can anyone help me?  Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Home network
ricoishere

depending on your OS, you might be able to set up ypur netword/sharing with the installed windows network software.  Verizon could not help me in that area as well. If you dont mind spending about $150.00, I invested in a western digital wireless external drive. Installed their software on PC's, and all your PC wil then have 5-10 TB of storage wirelessly (at home clud computing). Youcan create folders, and if you're lucky  to find their 1st generation, you can save your music, and access it from your IPOD/IPAD, and plug in more external drives.  Hope this helps, cause verizon does'nt

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I use windows network sharing without any problem.  I have an XP and Windows 7 machine I share files with.  The XP machine is on wired and the Win7 laptop is on wireless, but it doesn't matter.

You must be sure to enable print and file sharing and then share the folder.  

One thing to keep in mind is you will need to either disable your firewall or allow file and print sharing through your firewall.

Jim

0 Likes
jeffm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have had up to 6 computers all sharing with each other through my simple FIOS network, both windows and linux computers. It's all about setting up the computers properly, you don't need any additional devices. The easiest approach is to get someone over to your house who knows how to do windows networking or read up on it on-line.

Jeff