Re: How many of you complainers are posting first time, and are not FiOS customers?
HokieDave
Contributor - Level 2

If the very top and very bottom channel gets cut off for some users, why is that a problem?  When you scroll up and down, the focus stays in the center f the screen, so there's no reason not to extend the channel list for those who can see it.

So with two simple changes (adding an extra channel to the top + bottom and getting rid of the channel logos), I have added an extra half hour off to the right and two extra channels.

You could even take it one step further and get rid of all of the wasted space between shows - every show is twice as high as it needs to be - you have the show title and the gradient space above it.  Get rid of that gradient space and make the colors something more neutral/readable and you can easily pack a lot more information onto the screen without reducing the font.

Original guide:

My guide:

Re: How many of you complainers are posting first time, and are not FiOS customers?
Justin46
Legend

@HokieDave wrote:

If the very top and very bottom channel gets cut off for some users, why is that a problem?  When you scroll up and down, the focus stays in the center f the screen, so there's no reason not to extend the channel list for those who can see it.

So with two simple changes (adding an extra channel to the top + bottom and getting rid of the channel logos), I have added an extra half hour off to the right and two extra channels.

You could even take it one step further and get rid of all of the wasted space between shows - every show is twice as high as it needs to be - you have the show title and the gradient space above it.  Get rid of that gradient space and make the colors something more neutral/readable and you can easily pack a lot more information onto the screen without reducing the font.

Original guide:

My guide:

I cannot see whatever images you have posted (you can, the rest of us can't). Either you have not been here long enough to post images or your images have not yet been approved.

You originally said something about "doubling" the number of channels. How would adding 2 partially viewable channels "double" the number? What percent of the users would actually be able to see those partially viewable channels and thus make use of them? I have no idea whether I would be able to see any, part, or all of them on my TV, why would I or Verizon or anybody else want that? I sure don't, 7 channels per page is plenty for me, 9 would not make much if any difference IMO.

Getting rid of the channel logos? Have you not seen the complaints that came in when Verizon accidentally stopped displaying them for a while some time back? People came unglued, apparently some (lots) can't find the channel they want to watch without the logo. Now, since I cannot see your images, let me ask: what did you do with the live mini-picture in the upper left corner of the Guide? I very much like having that there, at least I can keep track of what is on the channel I was viewing when I decided to take a look at the Guide. How could removing the logos and not removing the live picture provide an additional half hour? And honestly, 2 1/2 hours is not enough? Plenty for me.

Maybe eventually your images will be viewable and I can see better what you have done, but for me, it would be a worthless effort for Verizon to make the changes you suggest, at least based on your description.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
questioning_old
Contributor - Level 2

Justin, I found that on my old analog TV, the top edge of the TV Guide Display would get cut off but it's not the case at all on my new HDTV.  The image on mine looks very much like yours.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Yes.  Your photos show how space could be used more efficiently.  Could not agree more.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@nascar wrote:

Yes.  Your photos show how space could be used more efficiently.  Could not agree more.

What???? I sure hope you are joking and forgot include the smiley, that is just awful. Do you really agree with that? People complain about the readability now, cram all of that on there, shrink the video so it is useless, remove useful stuff like which guide you are viewing and the Search option, run it off the screen, that really makes it an awful mess.

Please, please, please Verizon, do not pay any attention to this!

Keller, TX 76248

prisaz
Legend

I guess I can anwer my own question. At lease about everyone posting in this thread is a FiOS user.

0 Likes
NNard
Contributor - Level 1

An eagerly awaiting 1.9 FiOS userSmiley Very Happy

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Not kidding at all.  That huge area on the bottom with the B for Search is a huge waste of space.  His photo rendition is an example, in my opinion, on how to use the space more efficiently. 

DirecTV does a nice job with their guide.  Makes sense to me not to cram things in but to utilize the TV's real estate more efficiently. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@nascar wrote:

Not kidding at all.  That huge area on the bottom with the B for Search is a huge waste of space.  His photo rendition is an example, in my opinion, on how to use the space more efficiently. 

DirecTV does a nice job with their guide.  Makes sense to me not to cram things in but to utilize the TV's real estate more efficiently. 

OK, I guess will just have to agree to disagree then, I think the Search is very well positioned and easily found, along with the Options, and need to be there. I just don't understand the desire to cram everything under the sun in and destroying the readability..... Smiley Mad

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Don't worry. I don't think 1.9.1 will change all that much.  I do not want one bit to hurt readability.  I want to improve it.  I don't want things crammed in ether.  But there are a slew of complaints on how much wasted space there is like the bottom of the guide and the Info Bar is a tad too big.  I really don't feel that we disagree on the crux of the matter.  I do feel slight improvement is needed. 

@Justin wrote:

@nascar wrote:

OK, I guess will just have to agree to disagree then, I think the Search is very well positioned and easily found, along with the Options, and need to be there. I just don't understand the desire to cram everything under the sun in and destroying the readability..... Smiley Mad

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes