Re: IMG 1.9a scheduled for So. Cal. tonight.....
LouieG1

Got the upgrade last night. I have not tried to install the external esata hard drive.  Can't wait for work to be over.

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

Since you have MRDVR the Multi hub should be working by now.  It seems that there is a few hour lag when 1.9 is rolled out to a new area for multi hub to function.

With eSATA the same may apply.  In your case, I have no idea if a drive that was used with DirecTV will work.  I assume it will as the Vz DVR will format the drive for use on the Vz DVR.  It, in my opinion, is not a PC style format but a format to link it to that specific DVR.  If it does not work than you may need to attach it to a PC and remove the partition and format it.

1.9A is release 10.95 and no, it does not say 1.9A and just 1.9.

id2nv2nj2ca3 wrote:

Here's my story, after "breaking the news" yesterday that 1.9 was coming to So. Cal. early this morning. I woke up to find it had indeed arrived.  YAY!!! I thought.  The first thing I do is try to hook up my external hard drive, the main feature I was waiting for, for months and months.  The one I was told would work when my install occurred because I was promised the newest DVR (which I got)  and the 1.9 software which would allow it.  Guess what?  It DOESN'T freaking work.  No biggie, I had taken the hard drive to a computer repair place to have it reformatted and wiped clean of the 150+ hours of recordings I had from when it was hooked up to my DirecTv DVR.......that never failed from the moment I hooked it up.  He told me he partitioned it so my computer could recognize it.  I thought that might be the problem, so I was prepared to take it back to the computer guy and have him un-partition it (if that's even a computer term).  More on this later.

OK, so with project one a complete failure, I move on to make sure that all my boxes (two 7232 DVR's and one QIP 7100-2) recognize each other and I can watch anything recorded on either DVR on any of my three sets.  Again, complete failure.  Error messages saying please try again later, messages saying I don't have MRDVR on my account, messages saying there is no network connectivity, messages saying to go to Menu>DVR>Add MRDVR, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Do I sound bitter enough yet?  Wait, it gets better.

I KNEW I had MRDVR added to my account and was paying for it every month even though I couldn't use it without the 1.9 IMG software, because I logged onto my account and saw it right there on the billing detail.  So, what is someone so overly enthusiastic about something so trivial supposed to do?  Well, this guy decides to click the ole support tab and go to "Live Chat".  Almost 2 1/2 hours later and chatting with tech guy  #1 and Supervisor #2 (both of which English is a 2nd language at best) and Billing support #1 to "verify" MRDVR was on my account, nothing works and now I get the privelege of waiting (potentially) all morning tomorrow for a tech to show up and "fix it all".  Yay!!!!!

Before we ended the chat, he assured me that my external DVR would be made to work by the tech, and the fact that the computer guy had partitioned the hard drive would have NO effect on it being recognized and working.  Any takers on whether that is correct or not?

I should have a busted heel from kicking my own behind so hard for ever listening to a Verizon rep when they first told me I would get the latest DVR and software.  UNBELEIVABLE!!

Best of luck to everyone else.  I truly hope it works for you.  And my screen only shows version 1.9, not 1.9a.  Does it actually show 1.9a on someone elses?

And to those people saying the guide is practically impossible to read and demanding the ability to go back to the old one, I don't know what the heck you are looking at, but I think the new "guide" looks fabulous.  Now if Fios will just catch up with the rest of the DVR world and implement some of the wonderful things DirecTv and I'm sure others offer, that would be awesome as well.

id2nv2nj2ca3
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just an update.  Perhaps if I would have tried to "call" tech support instead of "chat" with them and waste 2 1/2 hours of my time, it would have been a much better day yesterday.  After reading the response above from nascar, I decided to give everything a try again, and EVERYTHING is working. 🙂  I can access both DVR's from any of my three boxes, and my external hard drive is working on my main T.V. Now I have to buy another hard drive and enclosure for my wife's DVR since I have to use her box to record things that won't record on mine because of the 2 channels at a time limit.  Verizon, when will you have the ability to record 4 channels at once? 🙂

@nascar wrote:

Since you have MRDVR the Multi hub should be working by now.  It seems that there is a few hour lag when 1.9 is rolled out to a new area for multi hub to function.

With eSATA the same may apply.  In your case, I have no idea if a drive that was used with DirecTV will work.  I assume it will as the Vz DVR will format the drive for use on the Vz DVR.  It, in my opinion, is not a PC style format but a format to link it to that specific DVR.  If it does not work than you may need to attach it to a PC and remove the partition and format it.

1.9A is release 10.95 and no, it does not say 1.9A and just 1.9.

@id2nv2nj2ca3 wrote:

Here's my story, after "breaking the news" yesterday that 1.9 was coming to So. Cal. early this morning. I woke up to find it had indeed arrived.  YAY!!! I thought.  The first thing I do is try to hook up my external hard drive, the main feature I was waiting for, for months and months.  The one I was told would work when my install occurred because I was promised the newest DVR (which I got)  and the 1.9 software which would allow it.  Guess what?  It DOESN'T freaking work.  No biggie, I had taken the hard drive to a computer repair place to have it reformatted and wiped clean of the 150+ hours of recordings I had from when it was hooked up to my DirecTv DVR.......that never failed from the moment I hooked it up.  He told me he partitioned it so my computer could recognize it.  I thought that might be the problem, so I was prepared to take it back to the computer guy and have him un-partition it (if that's even a computer term).  More on this later.

OK, so with project one a complete failure, I move on to make sure that all my boxes (two 7232 DVR's and one QIP 7100-2) recognize each other and I can watch anything recorded on either DVR on any of my three sets.  Again, complete failure.  Error messages saying please try again later, messages saying I don't have MRDVR on my account, messages saying there is no network connectivity, messages saying to go to Menu>DVR>Add MRDVR, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.  Do I sound bitter enough yet?  Wait, it gets better.

I KNEW I had MRDVR added to my account and was paying for it every month even though I couldn't use it without the 1.9 IMG software, because I logged onto my account and saw it right there on the billing detail.  So, what is someone so overly enthusiastic about something so trivial supposed to do?  Well, this guy decides to click the ole support tab and go to "Live Chat".  Almost 2 1/2 hours later and chatting with tech guy  #1 and Supervisor #2 (both of which English is a 2nd language at best) and Billing support #1 to "verify" MRDVR was on my account, nothing works and now I get the privelege of waiting (potentially) all morning tomorrow for a tech to show up and "fix it all".  Yay!!!!!

Before we ended the chat, he assured me that my external DVR would be made to work by the tech, and the fact that the computer guy had partitioned the hard drive would have NO effect on it being recognized and working.  Any takers on whether that is correct or not?

I should have a busted heel from kicking my own behind so hard for ever listening to a Verizon rep when they first told me I would get the latest DVR and software.  UNBELEIVABLE!!

Best of luck to everyone else.  I truly hope it works for you.  And my screen only shows version 1.9, not 1.9a.  Does it actually show 1.9a on someone elses?

And to those people saying the guide is practically impossible to read and demanding the ability to go back to the old one, I don't know what the heck you are looking at, but I think the new "guide" looks fabulous.  Now if Fios will just catch up with the rest of the DVR world and implement some of the wonderful things DirecTv and I'm sure others offer, that would be awesome as well.

0 Likes
VectorVictor
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's hoping that Fry's in CA and TX put their external eSata hard drives on sale this week.  Can't wait to add one to the DVR and extend the storage space.

0 Likes
greinstein
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bought one of these last month (pre strike) and it installed on 4th attempt last night )3 cannot connect messages--try again).

Recorded a movie last night and seems to work perfectly.

2 tb for $129 seems like a good deal.

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/hard-drives/Iomega-Professional-Drive-drive-2-TB-Hi/m784974779.htm...

0 Likes
id2nv2nj2ca3
Enthusiast - Level 3
$129 for 2TB is HIGH, unless that includes an enclosure. Try www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com. Both would be quite a bit cheaper. Good luck. 🙂

Edit - Sorry, I didn't click on the link before responding, but still think you can do better than $129.
0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1

$129 is about as good as one will do.  Keep in mind that you need specific drives for demanding HD throughput.

Some good info here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26043978-Biggest-external-drive-known-to-work-with-1.9-

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25758761-DVR-Build-Your-Own-FiOS-v1.9-DVR-External-Hard-Drive- 

id2nv2nj2ca3 wrote:
$129 for 2TB is HIGH, unless that includes an enclosure. Try www.newegg.com or www.tigerdirect.com. Both would be quite a bit cheaper. Good luck. 🙂

Edit - Sorry, I didn't click on the link before responding, but still think you can do better than $129.

0 Likes
id2nv2nj2ca3
Enthusiast - Level 3

@nascar wrote:

$129 is about as good as one will do.  Keep in mind that you need specific drives for demanding HD throughput.

Some good info here...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26043978-Biggest-external-drive-known-to-work-with-1.9-

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25758761-DVR-Build-Your-Own-FiOS-v1.9-DVR-External-Hard-Drive- 

@id2nv2nj2ca3 wrote:

When I got an external drive for my DirecTv DVR over two years ago, I got a 1.5TB Seagate.  I can't remember if it was a 5400 or 7200 rpm model, but it was recorded on and erased probably thousands of hours of programming, all in HD, and I never had a problem.  Between the drive and the ESATA enclosure, I paid less than $100 through Newegg and that included the ridiculous amount of sales tax I had to pay.  Not sure about the enclosures, but the drives are a lot less money now.

Heck, I'm just glad everything is working now.  Thanks for your help, nascar. 🙂

0 Likes
nascar
Master - Level 1
The key spec is 3Gbps. FiOS Multi Room and Multi Hub require 3Gbps.   Seagate's and WD's have A/V specific drives.  They claim multi stream, low heat, and quiet.  I won't know how well my Iomega performs till it doesn't.  But in the links I provided are what I would do if I was doing it again. 

@id2nv2nj2ca3 wrote:

@nascar wrote:

Some good info here...

@id2nv2nj2ca3 wrote:

When I got an external drive for my DirecTv DVR over two years ago, I got a 1.5TB Seagate.  I can't remember if it was a 5400 or 7200 rpm model, but it was recorded on and erased probably thousands of hours of programming, all in HD, and I never had a problem.  Between the drive and the ESATA enclosure, I paid less than $100 through Newegg and that included the ridiculous amount of sales tax I had to pay.  Not sure about the enclosures, but the drives are a lot less money now.

Heck, I'm just glad everything is working now.  Thanks for your help, nascar. 🙂

0 Likes