Incorrect spelling in program descriptions on channel guide
hatevftv
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just wanted to point out that the plural form of a noun does not use an apostrophe.  Possessive nouns, and contractions, use an apostrophe--as follows: It's (contraction of "it is" or, in this case, "it has") been standard in the program descriptions lately.  If that plural word, "descriptions," was in the program guide, it would have been spelled "description's."   You could use the possessive case and say, that program description's punctuation is incorrect!  

Using correct spelling and punctuation indicates a degree of competence and knowledge that incorrect usage of English does not.  For this reason, I feel compelled to bring this to your attention.

Thank you.

Re: Incorrect spelling in program descriptions - Physician, Heal Thyself
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@hatevftv wrote:

. Possessive nouns, and contractions, use an apostrophe--as follows: It's (contraction of "it is" or, in this case, "it has") been standard in the program descriptions lately.

Since we share an interest in usage, I will try to help.    First, please note that standard usage does not  require two commas where you have them in in the sentence fragment "Possessive nouns, and contractions, ..."  Most editors prefer this instance without additional commas.

Further, the mark "--"  after "apostrophe" is non-standard and essentially an improvisation on your part.  If it indeed stands in for the dash punctuation, it's also incorrect in this example.  The sentence requires no dash.

Please continue to offer helpful usage guidance at every opportunity.

0 Likes
Re: Incorrect spelling in program descriptions on channel guide
prisaz
Legend

Why do you come here if you hate it?

0 Likes