Is it possible to use another cable modem with my new fios account?
lhbru
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have just become a new fios customer as the result of moving into a new home from another area. My previous ISP allowed me to use my own cable modem once I provided the MAC address of the device.  I'd like to use the modem I brought with me as well as well the wireless devices and switch I used in our previous home.   There are a couple of reasons why I want to use my own gear- the first is the Connection unit provided by Verizon doesn't have the signal strength to cover our entire home and I wish to use my Axentra Net Server which doesn't work with the modem that came with the service.  Is there another modem I can use to solve this problem?  Thanks.

Labels (1)
Re: Is it possible to use another cable modem with my new fios account?
nrouter
Enthusiast - Level 1

Based on other threads the answer is yes and no; it depends on what your end goal is and what is acceptable to you the costumer. It's yes because one can always connect a n-router to the existing fios g router and make that work. Its no if you are only looking for SINGLE  device from Verizon that supports 802.11n standard.  Not looking to increase the number of vampire devices that I currently have. Just want to increase my range.  Other cable companies offer 802.11n.

Re: Is it possible to use another cable modem with my new fios account?
cert1
Enthusiast - Level 1

if you have fios video the actiontech router must be first it uses the coax to pass MOCA to the set top boxes and distribute ip address in the 192.168.1.100 range. you can connect your own router to the actiontech as a bridge or switch configuration just disable the DHCP in your router and connect to one of the yellow ports and it should work

0 Likes