Linksys wireless adapter "Access point found but cannot see internet"
webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently had a need to hook up an old W98Se machine with a Linksys WUSB11 adapter. This used to work with an unsecured Cablevision network but the wireless monitor shows the message in the subject with Vz.  

Changed router channel to match adapter settings

Verified SID is correct

Entered correct wep key

Checked workgroup and computer name and they match

The adapter is enabled and working properly.

5 other wireless devices (ipods/computers/wii) all work fine.

Any ideas?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Linksys wireless adapter "Access point found but cannot see internet"
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As much as I'd love to ask why a Windows 98 machine is being put onto the Internet, have you checked to ensure the Win98 machine is patched? With that operating system I'm pretty sure you're going to be limited to only using WEP security with that without appling a reasonable amount of patches and tweaks to the system to get it to do WPA or WPA2 Encryption. I can almost bet you that if the WEP key is not being entered in with All Caps, that it's the lack of patches for the machine.

webbrewers
Enthusiast - Level 2

Can you elaborate on that? I'm entering the WEP key exactly as it appears on the router which works for every other device. It worked with the 98 machine a few days ago but I must have changed something because it doesn't now.  Definitely something to do with encryption because if I turn it off, it works fine.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

The wep key is in hexadecimal (base 16--digits 0-9,A,B,C,D,E,F).  It is not suppose to be case sensitive.  But some device, and earlier versions of Windows treated it as case sensitive.  Some require the a-f in lower case others in upper.. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

go to www.verizon.com/repair and click retreive wifi settings, verify and make sure you are using the exact credentials you should be using.  

Also go into your wireless NIC and delete all previously connected wireless networks and then do not add the network manually, but instead hit ok (after deleting everything) and then try to connect as normal again.    

Also let us know if you're using windows wireless configuration, or if your wireless adapter comes with it's own software.

I have had the misfortune of learning the hard way, that sometimes wireless software from dell or linksys (as an example) may simply not be "as good" as the windows wireless utility, and also vice versa.      You can try to enable or disable wireless zero config (which will give or take away control of the wireless windows utility) by going to your services console.   I would recommend turning it on and forcing windows to be my wireless utility (a restart is probably required on 98)   and then also try it vice versa with your wireless nic utility

0 Likes