Logging into Router (Actiontec MI424WR)
vzncust11

Using http://192.168.1.1/.

Service recently setup.  Using default user id & password in order to login for first time.  Won't let me login in order to turn off wi-fi.  Any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Logging into Router (Actiontec MI424WR)
prisaz
Legend

@vzncust11 wrote:

Using http://192.168.1.1/.

Service recently setup.  Using default user id & password in order to login for first time.  Won't let me login in order to turn off wi-fi.  Any suggestions?

Default user ID = admin

password = serial number of your router. It is found on the sticker attached to the bottom of your router.

If it is an older router and it has been reset password = password. Some techs used to setup as password1, but that was stopped.

If you reset your router it should default to the serial number. Only the Very Old routers defaulted to password, and it was a security risk.

Also ignore the extra characters it shows when you type your password. They are a security feature.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

the new dual band antenna'd routers from verizon have the password written on the router and labeled as login password.

So if you have the red band dual antenna, then look for that,  the older ones, as prisaz has pointed out, use the serial number under the UPC bar code of the router, and it IS case sensitive. 

prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

the new dual band antenna'd routers from verizon have the password written on the router and labeled as login password.

So if you have the red band dual antenna, then look for that,  the older ones, as prisaz has pointed out, use the serial number under the UPC bar code of the router, and it IS case sensitive. 

Thanks for the information. I may see one of these routers at some point. Don't plan on buying one. May see one if I ever go GPON. Otherwise my switches are just fine on the LAN.

My 300N Access Point will cover many square feet, also has a power adjustment so if I don't want the neighbors down the street hitting it, I can cut it back. Which I have not. WAP2. I turned off the wireless on my Rev. E.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

The wireless N on the new verizon routers is only 16mb, so you are sitting pretty with your 300  🙂 

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

The wireless N on the new verizon routers is only 16mb, so you are sitting pretty with your 300  🙂 

Even the GigE Routers with dual channel? Now that would be disappointing. Really if I paid the asking price on the web site.

How could it be wireless N at 16mb? I know there were issues with the first Draft N routers, but I thought the latest were full Draft N Dual Channel 300Mbps routers.

I figured it would be a safe bet for time to come. Hawking HWABN1 Hi-Gain 300N AP / Bridge. I have had for a while now. The wireless sits on a second LAN NIC in the Linux box, in what you might call a sand box. Pinhole to my printer only. I figured that with my linux proxy filter firewall, and a couple of nice switches and I am set. Let Verizon sit up front like they want too. Only IPs on my Actiontec are TV hardware, and one linux Box. I do turn the Verizon Wifi on for guest from time to time.

I have been happy with this. I can get Wifi on my I phone thoughout my whole neighborhood.

http://hawkingtech.com/products/hawking_products/wireless/HWABN1.html

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

sorry I meant 160 mbs

LOL     It's doing the 20mhz 2.4 ghz wireless n, instead of taking advantage of the dual antenna at 40 mhz and 5.0 ghz range

0 Likes