Re: New Color Scheme
nascar
Master - Level 1

If you are using an SD TV set and have the guide set for HD it will be really small. In settings change the guide to SD on an SD set. And conversely, if you are using an HD set you should make sure the guide is set to HD. You can also set the guide to classic so it has more the look/layout (not colors though) of 1.8. All of these are in Settings and I suggest everyone try them out and see what differences you can make.

btm231
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Justin wrote:
I agree. I have far, far less than 20-20 vision without my glasses, and I can pretty easily read the Guide info on my 40 inch LCD from maybe 8-10 feet away. With my glasses, much further away.

I wonder what type of STB and what type of TV she is using?

And assuming she has an HD TV, I'm wonder what the setting set on her TV may be.

More often than not, people leave their TVs in the factory settings which generally have the picture set to stretch a little beyond the screen... this will cause sharp text to show up blurry. Everyone should have their televisions set to "Dot-by-Dot" or "Native" or equivalent setting (every company has a different name for this)

So I'd be interested in seeing what TVs and what settings anyone who is complaining has.

hingber
Enthusiast - Level 2

I tried changing the setting from standard to classic and could see no difference in readability on either my Samsung HD LED backlit 23 inch computer monitor or my Sony 32 inch SD CRT TV. The only difference is that one shows 4 channels and the other shows 6 channels. Your comment about changing the setting from HD (default) to SD does help. The readability on my monitor is great but my eyes are only 10 inches from the screen.

0 Likes
VectorVictor
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm sorry, but color me as one of the people that can't see why everyone is complaining about the new guide. 

The functionality is great, the guide options (including the TiVo-esque cross guide) is wonderful,  and the added search/history/trash can options for searches and DVR programs is certainly welcome.

And I have no problems with the color scheme, and neither does the wife or child.  The guide does look better, is more useful, and the ability to save your last guide options is great.  

For reference, we're using a 52" Samsung LCD with 1080i set on the DVR and native passthrough set on the TV.  We also have the update for a SD 36" CRT TV and old Motorolla SD box, and we have no problems with the guide on that TV, either. 

I just don't see what these people are complaining about, and it's not like my nickname is "eagle eye" or anything... 

0 Likes
VectorVictor
Enthusiast - Level 3

@barbshop wrote:

Given the differences between people, it's not suprising that some would not like the new color scheme and/or the font.  I think it's worth remembering that regardless of what scheme was chosen, there would be those who loved it and those who hated it.  It's impossible to please everyone.  I think it's a little bit of a stretch to look at a forum like this and see a handful of complaints, and somehow translate that into "a lot of people".  I'm a little older than some, and my eyesight isn't as good as it could be, but I don't have any serious problem reading the new guide.  There must be something more important to complain about.

Agreed.  Frankly, people should be complaining about the lack of HD adds and when Verizon will adopt MP4 compression (which, coupled with the eSata functionality, will make our DVRs bottomless for quite some time). 

This color scheme is hard to read?  Not on the SD or HD sets in our house, and that's from someone with less-than-20/20 vision too.

0 Likes
PlanoMac

I thought my wife was going kill herself with all the colors and guides. You can not read the thing from more than 3 or 4 feet back!!

I guess if you have 50 or 60 inch TV  it would be OK but most of us have something less. Who ever thought up the baby blue and pale white must have been on something.

0 Likes
catbert
Enthusiast - Level 2

the "bluriness" has more to do with what graphic designers, whom study typography, call "vibration." the person who designed this new update lacks such knowledge. the white text on gradient backgrounds, along with the illumination of the tv screen and small text, is very hard to read. the contrast causes the text to vibrate or as the commenter put it,"blurry." while you may still be able to read it, it is a strain to read and not a design that "fits all"

williamj1
Enthusiast - Level 2

catbert,

Thank you, thank you for stating detailed, intelligent information about the phenomenon that has been hurting my eyes for the last (almost) week!  I can't stand to look at the new guide because it strains my eyes and makes them "jump" around.  I knew that gradient background in the boxes had something to do with it, but I didn't know why.  You've explained it!

Now, Verizon, please get your programmers educated in this and out of "interior design" school with the pastel colors and return to the style of graphics, fonts, and sharply contrasting solid colors of the previous version of the guide.  Thank you!  

0 Likes
yourkidding1

The white letters on light blue is useless - I cannot read it.  Before I was able to view more stations on the guide - this was no improvement.

0 Likes
yourkidding1

Well, not all of us have a 40 inch TV.  I'm a senior citizen and I have an old, very old 25 inch screen as I cannot afford to buy a new one with all the bells and whistles.

0 Likes