Re: New programming guide is awful so is almost everythign else about FiOS TV
MiMeQu21
Contributor - Level 3

An easy way to increase the font size:

Menu - Settings - Video Settings - Graphic Settings - SD

This will revert your Menu back to the standard menu that we had with 1.8 and earlier.  The font size and screens will be larger.  However, you will lose the HD widescreen menu setting.  So it is a trade off, but the screen size gets bigger.

Re: New programming guide SUCKS so does almost everything else about FiOS TV
New2Fios2011
Enthusiast - Level 1

With all due respect, the font is so small, that I have to squint. I am in my 30's and don't wear glasses. I already had to struggle with a learning curve of switching from another provider to Fios and was beginning to adjust to some degree until it has been upgraded to almost impossible reading size. 

Honestly, how can Verizon not see this as a defect?

Please either

1. upgrade to a higher font or
  2. create an option to increase our font, OR
  3. give us back the old one.

I do not intend to disrespect. As a paying consumer, I am reporting this upgrade has left me very disappointed.

Re: New programming guide is awful so is almost everythign else about FiOS TV
New2Fios2011
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you.

0 Likes
GaryQuiring1
Contributor - Level 1

Considering how small this thread is it appears that most don't have any issues with the new guide.  I just wanted to confirm my distance from my TV.  I am 16' from my 50" panel when I use my computer and watch TV from my desk. I am over 50 years old and have no issues seeing the guide.  I am very puzzled how some are having issues seeing the guide and must question if their vision is the issue.  The only other explanation would be if they really have their TV hooked up correctly with HDMI or component output for good resolution. 

Justin46
Legend

For those who may be reading this thread wondering how bad the Guide is (or is not), here is a picture of the Guide taken by one of the beta testers:

I thought based on comments posted here at the Forums that I would find it very hard to read, but to my 70 year old, red/green colorblind eyes, I think it looks pretty good.

Of course your mileage may vary..... Smiley Very Happy

Keller, TX 76248

Hubrisnxs
Legend

That looks pretty good compared to IMG 1.8 - I think there is definetely a trade off in quality vs size, but that's always been the case w/PC Monitors and the such.   so Justin was right YMMV but I think most people like the newer guide vs the older.  

Justin46
Legend

One more thing on the readability of the new guide. During the Meet the Expert with Joe Ambeault on 4/20, I asked about the guide colors and font size. Here is a link to the thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Meet-The-Expert/Menu-Guide-Font-Size-and-Color-Complaints/td-p/303627

It appears Verizon is open to possible changes, and continues to evaluate what they can do to please their customers.

Keller, TX 76248

jotson
Enthusiast - Level 2

This is yet another case where Dish Network DVRs are WAYYYY better than the FIOS box.  You can select your color scheme (duh!).  You can also select how much info you want on the screen. 

It's definitely a trade-off for me - had Fios internet & phone for several years, but just switched to the TV from Dish.  I waited until the 500GB DVRs were available.  I am paying the same price, and getting a few more channels.  FIOS gives me a slightly better picture, a few more channels, but the DVR is still WAYYY behind Dish, even with 1.9.  I sure miss the UHF remote!  The Dish receiver was buried in a utility closet with 35 feet of HDMI cable.

Life is full of trade-offs, and each person needs to weight their own decisions...

I like the new guide vs. the old guide, but my wife does have a hard time seeing the fonts.  32" LCD around 8 foot viewing - yes, she SHOULD wear her glasses, but who am I to say?

kiwi703
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd like to weigh in on this one.  My better half has vision problems and does better when there is greater contrast between the background and the text.  So it's not a matter of being close or far away or of wearing glasses. 

Like the previous poster, we used to have Dish, and on their DVR you could choose a color scheme, and you could also choose how much info you wanted to see (fewer channels and hours with bigger type or more channels and info with smaller type).  Those seem like pretty easy programming matters to  give you a choice between 8 channels and 4 channels at a time and/or 1.5 or 2.5 hours.  That way Verizon doesn't have to find the "just right" solution.

Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@kiwi703 wrote:

I'd like to weigh in on this one.  My better half has vision problems and does better when there is greater contrast between the background and the text.  So it's not a matter of being close or far away or of wearing glasses. 

Like the previous poster, we used to have Dish, and on their DVR you could choose a color scheme, and you could also choose how much info you wanted to see (fewer channels and hours with bigger type or more channels and info with smaller type).  Those seem like pretty easy programming matters to  give you a choice between 8 channels and 4 channels at a time and/or 1.5 or 2.5 hours.  That way Verizon doesn't have to find the "just right" solution.

Try going into the settings and choosing CLASSIC for guide type.  It may help.

0 Likes