Only message after the fact
Poughkeepsie
Enthusiast - Level 1

Guide was upgraded without any notification. Message just says 1/10/2012 AM ' Fios customers have requested morw on-screen ................................. Simply more amazing'

No release level or email announcing change, no way to opt out, no pointers to new features or compatability. Just installed in December just getting over learning curve and resistance from family memebers who don't like change. Just change user interface in middle of night.   Once again Verizon doesn't understand change management 

Labels (1)
Re: Only message after the fact
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@Poughkeepsie wrote:

Guide was upgraded without any notification. Message just says 1/10/2012 AM ' Fios customers have requested morw on-screen ................................. Simply more amazing'

No release level or email announcing change, no way to opt out, no pointers to new features or compatability. Just installed in December just getting over learning curve and resistance from family memebers who don't like change. Just change user interface in middle of night.   Once again Verizon doesn't understand change management 

This change has been announced and promoted very much over the past several months.

Release notes were posted last year.

Channel 131 has been showing tutorials and features of the new guide for several months.

Verizon Spotlight Magazine (free for all FiOS subscribers, but you must sign up to have it mailed to you) had a feature on the new guide back in March 2011.

Last week, a message appeared at the top of the main menu screen advising you of the change. An email was also sent out to those who did not opt-out of receiving such emails.

0 Likes
nk12342
Enthusiast - Level 2

I live in Mass. and the change appeared two days ago. 

I saw NOTHING telling me it was coming.  Note I've never used this site until this awful downgrade was forced onto us, but if there were warnings on my TV or in bills they sure weren't obvious.

And we should have been give an option to opt-out of the change.  My family was very satisfied with what we had before;  now everyone hates it.

0 Likes
UnnDunn
Contributor - Level 3

@nk1234 wrote:

I live in Mass. and the change appeared two days ago. 

I saw NOTHING telling me it was coming.  Note I've never used this site until this awful downgrade was forced onto us, but if there were warnings on my TV or in bills they sure weren't obvious.

And we should have been give an option to opt-out of the change.  My family was very satisfied with what we had before;  now everyone hates it.

It's unfortunate that you were unaware of the change, but what else do you expect Verizon to have done? They could send you bill inserts, but many people don't get paper bills in the mail. They could mail out flyers, but people would tear them up unread.

Nor is this the sort of change that should only be deployed to some people and not others. Doing that means there would be two separate software tracks they'd have to maintain and support, which would drive up the cost and complexity of future software development.

0 Likes
nk12342
Enthusiast - Level 2

@UnnDunn wrote:
It's unfortunate that you were unaware of the change, but what else do you expect Verizon to have done? They could send you bill inserts, but many people don't get paper bills in the mail. They could mail out flyers, but people would tear them up unread.

Nor is this the sort of change that should only be deployed to some people and not others. Doing that means there would be two separate software tracks they'd have to maintain and support, which would drive up the cost and complexity of future software development.

What do I expect them to have done?

I expect them to not give me an "upgrade" that breaks all the functionality that I was happy with.

And I expect them to give me the option to go back to the previous version when I don't like the new. 

Supporting two versions isn't a problem;  if you do things right people will want to migrate to newer versions and the problem quickly goes away.

I had never contacted support before, but now they will hear from me until they resolve it (or they lose me as a customer).  So now THAT'S costing them more money.  And their support issues aren't my problem anyway;  I pay a lot of money every month and don't expect my service to be downgraded without my approval. 

And I don't care about future software development.  I was happy with it, so it could stay as is forever.  Maybe the cost of disgruntled customers should be given more consideration.

0 Likes