Question about external hard drive and extra storage
Bonkfast

So I heard that with IMG 1.9 you can extend the size of your DVR with an external hard drive... but I have one question...

When you unplug the hard drive, do you lose your shows? Or can you put them on your computer? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Question about external hard drive and extra storage
nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

I have the Motorola QIP-7200 P2 STB but when I go to activate my eSATA DVR Extender I get the error message "Unable to process request please try again later." Is there anything that I can do? Please I am stuck. I just got IMG 1.9 today in the DC Metro area (NoVA)....

Thanks...

0 Likes
dcgaijin

I got that a couple of times, but then I went back to the menu and started again and it said it was set up, just needed to reboot the stb. now it is showing up.

0 Likes
Keyboards
Master - Level 3

@Bonkfast wrote:

When you unplug the hard drive, do you lose your shows? Or can you put them on your computer? 

The answers are no you don't lose the shows and no you can't transfer them to your computer.

The external drive is mated and somehow encrypted / locked to the DVR where the recordings took place.  If you plug the drive back into the same DVR then the shows will still be there.  Thank the MPAA for it's Draconian policies in the name of rites protection.

0 Likes
SteveInFairfax
Enthusiast - Level 2

After attaching a WD external drive that I previously used with my Cox box, I also got the error message a couple of times the first night that 1.9 was activated, but this morning it synched just fine. I considered buying a new 1 TB drive but stuck with the 500 GB box. My DVR has 500 gigs and the extender has 500 gigs, and that should be enough for more than 100 hours of high def.

0 Likes