Westell 6100G + D-Link DIR-625 how to
lukoed
Enthusiast - Level 2

How to configure Westell 6100G to work with D-Link DIR-625? Everything used to be fine when I had Westell 6100, but with new Westell 6100G the router doesn't work. Need help.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westell 6100G + D-Link DIR-625 how to
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I point you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you have any questions, please ask.

Also when you ask, it would help to know if the Westell is using the White and Blue OR the Red and Black Firmware.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I point you to

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

If you have any questions, please ask.

Also when you ask, it would help to know if the Westell is using the White and Blue OR the Red and Black Firmware.

0 Likes
lukoed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks. Red and Black.

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

You marked the thread as solved and you told me what firmware is on the modem combo.

If this issue is solved, great 🙂

If this issue is not solved, please follow my steps and answer my questions below.

--

#1 Log-in to the Westell.

If you are prompted for a Username and Password, try one of the following:

admin/password
admin/password1
admin/admin
admin/admin1
Your Verizon username/password

#2 In the modem combo go to System Monitoring ->  Gateway Status

#3 The screen will look like the sample screen shot at

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Westell/A90-750015-07/Gateway_Status.htm

#4 What is the Broadband Connection type listed in there?

Ib the sample screen shot, the Broadband Connection type is PPPoE.

0 Likes
lukoed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Broadband Connection Type is PPPoE. I see it on System Monitoring --> Modem (not Gateway) Status. While working with modem for several days I mentioned that every connection to the Internet gives me a new verizon's IP. What does it mean? With old Westell C90 I had the same IP for years.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

My issure with home networking isn't resolved. In my modem (model Westell G90-610015-20) the VC1 cofiguration window is different from that you linked me to. So I have several questions.

1. After choosing "Bridge" protocol what should I choose in the "Bridge Mode" line - "Bridge" or "Routed Bridge"?

2. If I choose "Routed Bridge", what option should be chosen in additiona setting submenu - "Obtain address automatically (enable DHCP client)" or "Use the following static address (disable DHCP client)"?

3. If I disable DHCP, what IP and gateway should I use? Obtained through Start --> Run --> cmd --> ipconfig /all or different? If different, then what?

I've tried different combinations: "Bridged", "Routed Bridge", DHCP client enabled and disabled, different IPs, but all this not worked for my modem+router combo. With old Westell (C90-610015-06) setting was easy and everything have been working fine for 6 years. This new verizon's Westell G90 is not more than pain in **bleep**.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lukoed wrote:

1. After choosing "Bridge" protocol what should I choose in the "Bridge Mode" line - "Bridge" or "Routed Bridge"?

Select bridge.

@lukoed wrote:

2. If I choose "Routed Bridge", what option should be chosen in additiona setting submenu - "Obtain address automatically (enable DHCP client)" or "Use the following static address (disable DHCP client)"?

N/A. You are not in a DHCP Area OR for that matter, you do not have a Static Public IP.

I have heard/read some imporant info from another user at

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r25857305-?hilite=pppoe

Did you end the westell pppoe session before connecting the linksys

Since I did not know how to do that, I asked. As noted, here is the answer.

Using the latest westell gui
Click the my network icon >>>>broadband connection link
On that page there is a disconnect icon and button
If the pppoe session is down there will be a connect icon and button

--

Full steps..

#1 Connect your computer to the Westell's LAN port.

#2 Setup your computer's IP Address to be Static.

a) http://portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

b) These sample settings will work.

IP Address: 192.168.1.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

For the DNS Server Address(e), two DNS Servers from the list at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1591

#3 Set the modem to bridge mode. Not routed bridge.

#4 Disable the DHCP Server in the Westell.

#5 End the PPPoE session.

#6 Disconnect your computer from the Westell.

#7 Connect the D-Link router to the Westell.

#8 Connect your computer to one of the D-Link's LAN pors.

#9 As need be, change the IP Addess on your computer back to DHCP (Obtain address automatically).

#10 Tada. Online with modem in bridge mode.

0 Likes
lukoed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for help. I don't need it any more. Today in my mailbox I found an old Westell (blue and white) that I bought on eBay for 7 bucks several days ago. All necessary settings were made without any hassles. No "bridge"-s, no "DHCP"-s. Old Westell works in PPPoE mode and I spent only about 15 minutes to connect my network to the Internet. Case closed. Thank you once again.

0 Likes
lukoed
Enthusiast - Level 2

Today I tried to establish Internet connection with combo Westell G90-610015-20 (modem) + D-Link DIR-625 (router) that was the main question of this topic. I leaved untouched the same mode (PPPoE) that I used yesterday with old modem Westell C90-610015-06. Success!!! I live in NYC and for some reasons in my particular location no need to set up "Bridge" mode and uncheck "Private LAN".  So all posted above recomendations are not valid.

0 Likes