Re: 2015, FIOS IPV6
rtischer8277
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am a Fios business customer with Verizon and I pay $159/mo for 13 fixed IP addresses. I develop apps for the Internet of Things and want IPv6. Here is what I could find on Verizon's website under their IPv6 FAQ:

"What if I have a Static IP Address?

FIOS and DSL Static IP address customers (Business Customers) will be assigned an IPv6 address in selected locations early in 2013. Verizon will use an IPv6/56 address format, which means this will support 256 LANs."

Once every 6 months I try to track down what Verizon is doing about IPv6 and why I don't have my IPv6 address block yet. The first hurdle is getting beyond their automated web site. Useless. The second hurdle was finding someone to talk with. This was easy, but Ken didn't know how to spell IPv6. What's more, he 1) didn't offer to find out except for discussing the question with an equally uninformed colleage, and 2) didn't take down the bogus quote from the website.

I can only conclude that Verizon is exercising the time-honored tradition of putting their dummest people on the front line and making it extremely painful to get any real information which has the effect of making more money for the company. Verizon is simply making too much money selling the limited IPv4 resource and will continue to do so until the government forces them and other monopolistic telecoms to open it up. The bold face truth about IPv6 is that you don't need address blocks (IPv6/56) anymore because IPv6 has SLAAC (Stateless address autoconfiguration). That means that you can create any number of addresses that can be resolved on the IPv6 Internet.

Until that happens my innovative business will be hampered in helping the US achieve a better and competitive economy. That is sad. We here in the US only pay lip service to innovation and progress; we don't practice it.

cbenard
Enthusiast - Level 2
rtischer8277 said: "I can only conclude that Verizon is exercising the time-honored tradition of putting their dummest people on the front line and making it extremely painful to get any real information which has the effect of making more money for the company."

It's probably not the best idea to call them the "dummest" on their forums and misspell it.

aaron161
Enthusiast - Level 2

The part that can't get ipv4 or that has gone native IPv6.

Not that it should matter.

Verizon is advertising 100% of the Internet (captial "I" so that impies ipv4 and ipv6) in their attacks against Cable and cables use of asymetrical bandwidth ads.

I don't buy any arguement that they can't deploy it until they have sw on the tv boxes as the end user would still have to enable ipv6 on the router.

pa28pilot
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here we are, one year later. 

It's funny, I once read in the minimum equipment standards for Verizon Wireless that IPv4 support was optional in their handset standards after 2008. There seems to be someone in the corporate structure who knows how to provision IPv6. I hope they consider moving a few of those network engineering folks from VZW over to the FiOS side of the house soon. 

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

FIOS will implement when they need more addresses or the government forces them to.

99.9% of FIOS users don't care and won't benefit from IPV6.