2nd router failure
wssddc

In September I purchased an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router because Verizon said my older Rev F Actiontec might require more support so there would be a monthly fee to keep using it.  In mid December, the new router failed (wired ports stopped working) and Verizon sent a replacement.  A couple days ago, the replacement failed in the same way; I'm back online with the old router again.  I have not yet called support for this failure.  Ironically, the original router never triggered any support calls.

Detailed symptoms:

After a power cycle, wired (and wireless) work at first.

After a short period, wired stops working (can't even ping the router), but wireless still works.

All 4 LAN ports fail.

The recent failure occurred after the router was powered off so I could replace a UPS battery.

It may be that WAN traffic triggers the failure, but I'm not sure about this.

The connection to the ONT is ethernet.

With 2 routers failing the same way, I wonder if there is something in my router config that breaks things.  The only thing that I can think of is that I use 10.0.0.x for my local network.

Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 2nd router failure
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There should be no reason that changing the subnet would cause the router to die.

What steps did you take to make the custom LAN subnet? Are there any other devices on the network that could be conflicting with the Actiontec router (such as another router, which could cause issues)? 

If the worst comes to the worst, you did say your router is connected via an ethernet cable. Do you have TV service? You could use your own router which would allow for the customization you want. 

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe that verizon Doesn't like you changing from using the default for your subnet.  Why do you want to?

wssddc

My local network was setup long before FIOS became available and there was no reason to reconfigure all my devices when I did get FIOS.  The only reason Verizon might like standard configurations is it simplifies the scripts for tech support.

0 Likes
JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There should be no reason that changing the subnet would cause the router to die.

What steps did you take to make the custom LAN subnet? Are there any other devices on the network that could be conflicting with the Actiontec router (such as another router, which could cause issues)? 

If the worst comes to the worst, you did say your router is connected via an ethernet cable. Do you have TV service? You could use your own router which would allow for the customization you want.