AT&T VPN Client
mblake59
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am scheduled to get FIOS TV and Internet installed in about a week and am trying to figure out whether ask for coax cable connection from ONT to Verizon router (not sure what router model they will be installing) or ethernet connection.  I see lots of discussions about Cisco VPN not working using coax connection, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "AT&T Network Client - IBM" VPN client?

Also if I do have ethernet connection from ONT to router for internet, does there also need to be a coax connection from splitter shared by set top boxes to the router in order for the TV VOD and Guide to work,  ie, would the connections look like this:

ONT -->  ethernet  -->  router -->  ethernet  --> PC  

|                                          |

|                                          |--->  wireless --> laptop

|

|

| --> coax  --> splitter -->  router

|

|--> set top boxes 

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: AT&T VPN Client
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@mblake59 wrote:

I am scheduled to get FIOS TV and Internet installed in about a week and am trying to figure out whether ask for coax cable connection from ONT to Verizon router (not sure what router model they will be installing) or Ethernet connection.  I see lots of discussions about Cisco VPN not working using coax connection, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "AT&T Network Client - IBM" VPN client?

Also if I do have Ethernet connection from ONT to router for internet, does there also need to be a coax connection from splitter shared by set top boxes to the router in order for the TV VOD and Guide to work,  ie, would the connections look like this:

ONT -->  Ethernet  -->  router -->  Ethernet  --> PC  

|                                          |

|

|

|

|--> set top boxes 

1st, play it safe, get an Ethernet connection to the router. Yes it is primarily Cisco VPN's that have issues but many others do as well and since Verizon will not support a VPN, your better off playing it safe and going with a known working connection rather than taking a chance on a connection that is known to have VPN issues.

2nd, Yes, if you have an Ethernet internet connection, you will still need a coax to the router for the TV connections.  You will want it like this.....

ONT -->  Ethernet and COAX  -->  router -->  Ethernet  --> PC  

|                                                              |

|                                                              |--->  wireless --> laptop

|

|

|

|--> set top boxes 

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mblake59 wrote:

I am scheduled to get FIOS TV and Internet installed in about a week and am trying to figure out whether ask for coax cable connection from ONT to Verizon router (not sure what router model they will be installing) or ethernet connection.  I see lots of discussions about Cisco VPN not working using coax connection, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "AT&T Network Client - IBM" VPN client?

Also if I do have ethernet connection from ONT to router for internet, does there also need to be a coax connection from splitter shared by set top boxes to the router in order for the TV VOD and Guide to work,  ie, would the connections look like this:

ONT -->  ethernet  -->  router -->  ethernet  --> PC  

|                                          |

|

|

|

|--> set top boxes 

Yes the connection would look like that.

I use the Cisco VP client but not with at&t.  I have no issues with it and I am connected via coax to the router.  However I only use the VZ router for pass thru and STB's and actually connect by VPN to a secondary router that has all my internal machines on it.  The secondary router is connected to the VZ router via an ethernet connection LAN to WAN.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

@mblake59 wrote:

I am scheduled to get FIOS TV and Internet installed in about a week and am trying to figure out whether ask for coax cable connection from ONT to Verizon router (not sure what router model they will be installing) or Ethernet connection.  I see lots of discussions about Cisco VPN not working using coax connection, but was wondering if anyone has any experience with the "AT&T Network Client - IBM" VPN client?

Also if I do have Ethernet connection from ONT to router for internet, does there also need to be a coax connection from splitter shared by set top boxes to the router in order for the TV VOD and Guide to work,  ie, would the connections look like this:

ONT -->  Ethernet  -->  router -->  Ethernet  --> PC  

|                                          |

|

|

|

|--> set top boxes 

1st, play it safe, get an Ethernet connection to the router. Yes it is primarily Cisco VPN's that have issues but many others do as well and since Verizon will not support a VPN, your better off playing it safe and going with a known working connection rather than taking a chance on a connection that is known to have VPN issues.

2nd, Yes, if you have an Ethernet internet connection, you will still need a coax to the router for the TV connections.  You will want it like this.....

ONT -->  Ethernet and COAX  -->  router -->  Ethernet  --> PC  

|                                                              |

|                                                              |--->  wireless --> laptop

|

|

|

|--> set top boxes