Actual DSL Speeds?
muoxfordoh
0 Likes
Re: Actual DSL Speeds?
ohpoleez
Contributor - Level 2

Hi, please repost your question/issue. There is nothing in the body of your message.

0 Likes
muoxfordoh

Sorry abou that.  I thought it posted, but I think I must have got an error message instead.   

Anyway, I have a new MacBook Pro and Verizon DSL (up to 1 Mbps plan) and a Westell 327W modem/router.  My dowload rates are cconsistently between 80-90 Kbps.  This is regardless of whether or not I use a wired or wireless connection and it does not matter what website I am downloading from.  I have the firewall disabled on the Westell 327W.  I tried customer service a couple of times and was told this is normal.  My VoIP phone service is just about useless.  I want to upgrade to a N-router, but I don't want to make the jump if my dowload speeds are going to be this low.  I would appreciate any help.  Thanks.

Transceiver Statistics

Transceiver Revision: 7.2.3.0  

Vendor ID Code: 4  

Line Mode: G.DMT Mode  

Data Path: Interleaved    

Transceiver Information 

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 864 160

Margin (dB) 31.0 31.0

Line Attenuation (dB) 34.5 25.0

Transmit Power (dBm) 5.0 11.1

0 Likes
BlueDervish
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, first of all, have you tried using any of the DSL service testing sites, like: 

(www.dslreports.com/tools)

(www.speakeasy.net/speedtest)

You may also want to make sure that your Westell Settings are correct, check here:

(http://192.168.1.1/advstat.htm)

(http://192.168.1.1)

If you are located some distance from the Verizon "box", like we are, you may not be able to get any faster, until FIOS comes to you! Here in the USA we are so limited, Europe & Japan, have incredible speed, see here: (http://gigaom.com/2007/11/29/dsl-getting-faster-just-not-in-the-us speeds)

Be sure you clear history, cache, icons, from Safari, on regular basis, and are performing basic MAC OS maintenance on your Mac. Keep your desktop clear of clutter for smooth operation, too.

Cheers

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Your modem is getting the full Download rate of 864K which is what it will get for 768K service, you are not set for 1M service, it is the same price as 768K ask Verizon online if you have enough signal coming to your modem to get the 1M and if you do they will turn you up. Since you have great noise margins I would guess that you should have plenty of signal coming to you. Since your modem is getting full rate and your numbers look great the problem is most likely in your computer, go to some speed test sites and see what they say you are getting, you should be somewhere around 768K  all of the time. If you are not getting that then you need to try and see what in the computer is slowing you down, keep trying Verizon online, once in a while you get someone who is really good and can fix the problem for you, Good luck.

0 Likes
muoxfordoh

Thanks guys.  I have run multiple speed tests and they are showing that I am getting the speeds I pay for, but my download speeds are really slow (always less than 90 Kbps).  I have the same problem on 2 separate computers, one older Gateway notebook running XP and my brand new MacBook Pro.  Can I be having an issue with my router settings?  I do have a D-Link VoIP router attached to my Westell 327W, but I am not sure if this is causing the problem, because I get the same slow download speeds even when I wire directly into the Westell.  Customer Service just keeps telling me that I need to accept the slow 80'ish Kbps speed.  Any ideas on some tweaks I can make to my router settings?  Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 In your Westell 327w, go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#2 What is the DHCP range?

#3 Also in Advanced, go to UPnP.

#4 Is that feature, On or Off?

#5 What is the model of that D-Link VoIP router?

#6 Does your Westell 327W, have wireless?

0 Likes
muoxfordoh

#1 In your Westell 327w, go to Advanced -> IP Address Distribution.

#2 What is the DHCP range?

IP Address Distribution     
Service   IP Address Distribution:     OffPrivate LAN      
Private LAN DHCP Settings   

Start IP Address:  192.168.1.15        End IP Address:  192.168.1.47        DHCP Lease Time:       1 : 0   :  0  :  0

#3 Also in Advanced, go to UPnP.

#4 Is that feature, On or Off?

Not Enabled

#5 What is the model of that D-Link VoIP router?

DVG 1402S (Service Provider:  Lingo)

#6 Does your Westell 327W, have wireless?

Yes.  (I'm not sure if this matters, but as I mentioned above, I am getting the same download speeds, with a wired or wireless connection)

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Since Wireless in the router turned on..

What level of Wireless Security is it set to? For example WEP/WPA.

#2 I have an idea of how to test your speeds again, for testing...

a) Do the speed test on one computer connected to the router by wire, at a time.

This means, all other computers must be turned off and physically disconnected from the network. You can turn them back on and reconnect them, latter one when done with testing.

b) Go into the router and turn off Wireless. You can turn it back on, latter on when done with testing.

c) Retest the speed on that computer.

--

You may find out, that certain computers get higher speed that others.

OR you may find out that all of the computers when connected to the router, one at a time, get the same speed.

#3 Please report back the results, of what ever you find...

0 Likes