Re: COAX VS ETHERNET
DJDarkGift
Enthusiast - Level 2

Sue, what internet speeds are you getting through your setup? I also have the same ONT you listed and when I inquired about raising my speed I was told that Verizon would have to come out, at my expense, and upgrade the ONT because it will only handle speeds up to 100mbps, yet I do get fluctuations of plus/minus 5-10mbps up or down so if my ONT is only designed to cap at 100mbps how do they explain when it fluctuates over that cap? I think it’s just a con to get them to come out and replace things at my cost, as I was told I’d have to pay like over $130 bucks, or something like that, for the hardware that was needed for me to get speeds higher than 100mbps. If it’s just a simple case of running Cat6 from the ONT to the router I can do that myself without paying a dime. Anyone else who might have some insight on this, I’d love to hear what you have to say. Thanks in advance and hope you all are having a great day.  Shawn. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

There seems to be a debate of whether the ONT is MoCA 2.0 or 1.1, but whatever the version Verizon only does 100 mbps or below on MoCA. 150 and above requires ethernet. 100%, no exceptions. 

What you can do is run your cat6 and go to VZ direct at dslreports.com and have them switch your connection from MoCA to ethernet. 
Once switched you can upgrade to any speed you want to as long as you have a Nokia 211 or Arris 1000G. If you have an older Bpon model then a tech will have to come out an upgrade the ONT. 

0 Likes
DCN8V

@DJDarkGift Shawn, This is my situation exactly. Am now going to ask Verizon to activate my ethernet port and see if I can then easily install my new Archer A7 router. Am a newbie to this topic, learning at every teeny tiny increment. What did you end up doing?

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

This thread will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes