Can Verizon install 2 fios modems?
K3vin15753
Enthusiast - Level 2

Currently in the house im living in atm my son and duaghters rooms are right next to each other with the modem in my daughters room. I simply ran a enthernet cable through the wall to my sons room for the internet to his computer, But in the new house my daughter is going to be living in the top floor where as my son is going to be living in the basment floor. I need to know if its possible to have two modems in the house on the same plan one in my daughters room and other in my sons. Wireless is not an option, hense the reason im asking if having two modems is possible.

0 Likes
Re: Can Verizon install 2 fios modems?
tns
Master - Level 2

There are no modems with FIOS servers, they are routers.  Fios will probably not offer two routers, but there are lots of other choices depending on the wiring in your new house.  Two routers would probably be overkill as you still need some sort of cable to the second room.   Choices include Moca adapters if there is a Coax cable,  Ethernet CAT5/5e/6 runs,  Powerline adapters. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't see how this would be too much of a problem. The routers Verizon provides can be connected to pretty much any coaxial connection. With such a design, you would need to ensure one of the routers is set up as the main router, and the second one (perhaps the one upstairs) is set to only act as an access point/switch, otherwise known as a bridge. Take a look at this FAQ to see if it helps you with this: www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

aadam101
Enthusiast - Level 3

The best thing to do is buy a second Verizon Actiontec router on ebay.  Use it as a MoCa bridge and you are all set.  It's a cheap and easy way to expand your wireless connection.

K3vin15753
Enthusiast - Level 2
The reason why I say wireless is not an option is because I want the full fios speed and wireless just doesn't cut it for me compared to the Ethernet cable
K3vin15753
Enthusiast - Level 2
Can I run a Ethernet cable outside the house to the basement?
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can do that. I would suggest buying cabling rated for outdoor use in that case, just to ensure it holds up. Ethernet cabling is good for up to 100 Meters (a little over 300 feet) so you have plenty of headroom for runs. Of course, the shorter the run the better!

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

If you have existing coax to each room, then the MoCa option would be easier, though you may need a splitter here and there.  Think of it as Ethernet over Coax.