Connecting MOCA Adapter through a switch to feed STB data?
NOVArunner
Enthusiast - Level 1

Recently moved my G3100 router from basement utility closet (where both MOCA and Ethernet connections to OTN terminate) to kitchen on main floor of 3 story house to be more centrally located and get better WiFi on rear deck. Kitchen was already wired with duplex Ethernet jacks allowing me to connect Ethernet to G3100 and use 2nd jack to connect to an unmanaged switch in basement feeding 3 wired PCs.

Problem is that there is no Coax wiring in the kitchen and no easy means to bring it there to connect to the G3100 (I have a long cable across the floor from another room temporarily). Based on comments from people using their own routers, hoping I can install a MOCA to Ethernet adapter and connect this to the switch in the basement. Will this setup work, or does the MOCA adapter need to be connected directly to the G3100? Not sure it makes a difference, but there are two separate MOCA drops from the ONT (one for router and one to splitter feeding each STB).image

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting MOCA Adapter through a switch to feed STB data?
appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Taking another look, i think it could be even simpler - the Moca from the network switch simply needs to to the Coax Splitter to the STBs. No need to go back to the ONT - in fact, it might be counterproductive.

Also, remember to install a PoE filter (example - https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6) where the coax comes into the house - between the ONT and splitter.

View solution in original post

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Your setup should absolutely work. I currently have (a slightly shorter version of) the same setup - ONT -> my own router -> switch -> Moca -> STB.

I am using my older G1100 as a moca bridge (since i already have it), but also waiting for delivery on moca adapters, but what you are thinking of will work.

appDev
Contributor - Level 1

Taking another look, i think it could be even simpler - the Moca from the network switch simply needs to to the Coax Splitter to the STBs. No need to go back to the ONT - in fact, it might be counterproductive.

Also, remember to install a PoE filter (example - https://www.amazon.com/Filter-MoCA-Cable-Coaxial-Networking/dp/B00DC8IEE6) where the coax comes into the house - between the ONT and splitter.