Re: DSL Connection Dropping Intermittently.
The_Toddler

So only a few hours after I got the automated call saying that they knew of the problem, I got another call saying the problem was fixed. And the situation does seem to have improved. But I didn't get to spend that much time online over the weekend to give it a real workout. So far, I haven't had any dropouts through my PC browsing that I could tell, but I did have some very brief problems watching Hulu Plus content on my Roku box. (But those were easily resolved, unlike the problems I was having at the height of the trouble.) I'll continue to watch it closely.

0 Likes
The_Toddler

MisterTechnical, what happened to you? I was hoping you would come back and update us on your progress.

So after an entire week, things seem to be much better, but possibly not perfect. I haven't had any trouble web browsing or downloading files on my PC. But for some reason, when I'm watching Hulu+ content on my Roku box via wireless connection, I can't watch more than 15 minutes of streaming video without losing a signal. But what's weird is that it doesn't seem to happen with streaming Netflix. Hulu has always been more resource intensive, though. I guess service is back to a level where I can live with it, though. I suspect I'll wait until Verizon tries to raise the price on me and then jump ship to Comcast.

0 Likes
MisterTechnical
Enthusiast - Level 3

Update:

Net seems to be working decently now. The drops have stopped, packet loss is minimal/nonexistent the majority of the time.

Although the connection seems less smooth than it was before this issue, it has significantly improved.

An irritated call resulted in them offering me Fios again, but this time at a price lower than what I'm paying now for more bandwidth. I'm going to begrudgingly go with that until they attempt to raise the price on me, and then jump to another provider.

EDIT @ Above post:

^ I suppose great minds think alike. 

0 Likes
ARP4

Happening in Pa as well 19601 they had me thinking it was the house wiring but it was on their end. Drop city!

0 Likes
The_Toddler

Thanks for the update, MisterTechnical. After a few reboots of the modem and Roku, all systems seem go here in my household.

Unfortunately, I'm not eligible for FIOS in my area. But the last two years when they tried to raise prices on me, they've given me a $10/month discount. The second time around they said the offer wasn't valid anymore, but after I tried a few more reps, they finally gave it to me. My luck may have run out, though, with this new dry-loop grandfathering business.

0 Likes
TheRoscoe

I have a D-Link roter and it goes off multiples times a day, it used to be every 30 minutes now its like 8 minutes. I called verizon multiple times asking for a technician but to no avail they give me the same excuse, so I'm just changing my internet provider.

0 Likes
shall1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have just started having the same issue after almost 2 years on DSL with a Westell A90-750015-07 modem from Verizon.  Yesterday in less than 1 hour, it dropped 4 times and I had to reboot..  Verizon tech support said they would monitor the line yesterday for four hours.  It never dropped again that day.  They mentioned a negative test result and then told me that was normal also (?) .  Then they monitored it for another 24 hours.  It dropped once, but Verizon claims there is no line issue, so therefore they can do nothing about the problem.  I use this line when working from some days.  They told it is caused by too much traffic on the line.  I live in a rural area in Western PA which is certainly not heavily populated.  When it was dropping yesterday both the DSL and Internet light went out on the modem.

If someone could tell me how to obtain the stats I am reading in this thread on the connection, I would love to try to track this issue down and figure out what the problem is.  It is annoying enough when it happens, let alone when I am using it for work on a day when I could not make the hour drive into the office.  Verizon service around here, even for just the phone is pretty poor.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@shall wrote:

If someone could tell me how to obtain the stats I am reading in this thread on the connection, I would love to try to track this issue down and figure out what the problem is.  It is annoying enough when it happens, let alone when I am using it for work on a day when I could not make the hour drive into the office.  Verizon service around here, even for just the phone is pretty poor.

In your case, this means:

Visiting http://192.168.1.1/ for me and do the following:

1: If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

2: If you see a Red and Black Westell page: Go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Monitors -> Transceiver Statistics. Copy/Paste the information on that page.

3: Try visiting http://192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the Stats on older modems.

If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

* By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

0 Likes