Re: DSL DNS lookup too slow and cause disconnection
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

@linuxGeek-21401 wrote:

per the verizon tech. 

Was this a tech on the phone or a tech dispatched to your your house?

Did they run a line test to your modem and share the results with you?

Our testers can usually see if there is an issue, although they sometimes seem reluctrant to dispatch a tech to your house, it would hurt to call and inquire.

0 Likes
linuxGeek-21401

The tech was on the phone, and did test the line.  He said it was fine.  As I said, the problem is a common one with verizon users - very sloooooow DNS and email downloadsfrom incoming.verizon.net.

0 Likes
CLS500
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the exact same problem with my DSL line and the Westell 6100 modem- the link to the Internet works in no more than 25% of the time. I ended up using my neighbor's wireless network to come to these forums and look for a solution.

I noticed that while the DSL light on the modem is on, the Internet light blinks all the time and does not go into a steady state.  DNS lookups either timeout or take forever to complete. I did enter the DNS servers in my Linksys router manually, but things don't really change.

I run Mac OS X 10.5.6 and noticed in the system log thousands of error messages referring to "defective DNS relay" at 71.250.0.14 and 68.237.161.14, which were the supplied DNS settings; all 3 computers in the house report the same problem with DNS.

Based on the above, I don't think the problem is the DSL line itself, but rather what has been changed on Verizon's end.

Any suggestions? 

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3
There have been instances in Long Island where the Routers in our Central office are at full capacity.  When this occurs the traffic becomes congested, .leading to slower rates.  Next time you call into repair ask them to escalate your trouble and request being placed on a different router in the office.  It's worth a try...
CLS500
Enthusiast - Level 1

Calling Tech Support was a waste of time, despite their genuine efforts to help me out.  The problem is that they treat all customers like idiots and ignore any suggestion that perhaps there is a problem on the VZ end.  The suggestion to look into the router was met with sarcasm and ignored by 2 reps.

I switched the modem into bridge mode.  My Linksys router complains most of the time that it was unable to obtain and IP address from the PPPoE server.  When it does, the connection does not stay on for a very long time and it tends to drop randomly for no apparent reason at all.  Also, I seem to bounce between 2 sets of IP addresses- one on a 93.xxx.xxx.xxx network and another one of 73.xxx.xxx.xxx.  Using my Mac without the router yields the same results where it is close to impossible to obtain an IP address or keep it long enough.

I am very frustrated and have decided to go back to Comcast Cable. 

0 Likes