Re: DSL connection keeps dropping
DonnaJ5152

I have been having trouble for months,  but seems to be getting worse.  I constantly lose my internet connection,  and evey I sign off, (or get signed off)  I have to turn the modem off and leave it for a minute,  then turn it back on and wait another minute.  Seems a bit ridiculous to me to have to do this constantly.  But of course,  it is not Verizon,  it is my computer, or my phone line.  My contract is up in October,  and you can bet  I will have cable,  it is faster,  and the people I know that have it, do not have the problems I have.

0 Likes
debish

I am having the same problem with mine.  I have connection for only 20min.  or less then I have to turn of my modem so I can reconnect .  this is done several times a day .  they run line test after line test  and nothing is wrong.  so why do I keep losing connection.  they don't have a problem billing me the same monthly fee, they don't even consider given u some type of credit. There is a problem some were and they need to address this issue.

0 Likes
Letitride3c
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same here in the fringe portion of northeast Queens in N.Y.C. and it's getting worse for the past year as VZ begin the slowing down Fios rollover (eventually, by 2014) - used to get 1.5 speed on Earthlink and upgraded to 3.0 upon switching to VZ in 2005 since we're much closer to the CO ~ around 6,000 feet.  Moved to our newly built house in 2006 and downgraded to 1.5 since we are about 16,000 fee from CO (as if I should know and consider this factor when we're looking for a new home, right) and line conditions resulted in being further dropped to just 768/128 service for 2+ years.  (Fios was promised and still waiting) 

There was hope in 2008-09 when I called & was told we could get 1.0/384 (ADSL2+ & other CO upgrades) and for a while, it was fine, occassionally disconnect since downstream margins were near the limits, but still okay. 

Buf, since last summer - dsl line has been getting worst & worst - one of the dispatched VZ field tech (after trying to get a truck roll several times by escalated tech. support) traced it to likely UNUSED BRIDGE TAPS on the line but said voice repairs need to be called to come out & fix it. 

Well, voice repair came & found no problem (so they claimed) after cancelling 2 earlier work orders as resolved, and refused to do anything else, billed us for a dispatch for "problems with customer equipment" not covered by inside wiring and/or maintenance plan.  Paid the $91 + tax under protest and subsequently cancelled boh inside & equipment plan.  Contract is up this month, and I am ready to cut the copper wire since we got 4 years old pre-wired coaxials already being used for DirecTV and everyone else on the block is using cable HSI (it's much, much faster)

It used to be that due to our "pure" distance distance from the CO, that line conditions would worsen and that I would reset the modem manually every few days to bring it back to optimum, to last year's once a day ritual, and for the past 2 months, to twice a day or more routine - getting tired of this, really tired of it.  No more - DSL, you are fired !

Migrated email addresses to gmail, aol & live - away from the @ verizon.net and @ msn.com so that we can easily switch, and with so much junk calls (despite national & state/local DNC list enrolled) - we are going to get a new unlisted # with spouse's name & give it out as needed.  Others will get our Goggle Voice number for further filtering. 

Our days with VZ analog (POTS) and dsl are numbered - D minus 20 or so, and the final countdown has already begun. 

0 Likes
rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I hear ya. I can almost set my watch by the drop outs in DSL carrier. Calls into tech support always get the canned response to reboot modem, restart computer. How many times do I need to do this each day? They tested the line and said it was great. Send a tech out and says everything is fine. But every day I go through this and it is repeatable. They switched ports and made matters worse.

24 hour line test time and time again with no response, they just close out the ticket even though the problem is not solved.

I am starting to make th migration away from verizon with regard to email etc so I can do the same, cut the cord.

0 Likes
janjan___verizo

Me too my connection disconnects and I have to unplug the internet cord  and unplug it for it to work. I called Verizon they said that there was a problem with the modem ,so they sent me another one . I still am losing connection like every 30-60 mins. Even some times 5- 30 mins.Some times even faster than that it disconnections . But the lights stay the way the are supposed to. I went to device manager on my PC and it said nothing was installed for the internet cord . So I tried to tell the woman at customer service ehelp and all she said was "It's the modem that's the problem". Ridiculous huh?Smiley Sad. Right now the internet is getting Better as far a s not disconnecting but I still don't know what the problem is and can't resolve it!

0 Likes
jersygrl5569

I live about a mile or so from a major Southern NJ city, so you would think I wouldnt be having connection problems. Several times a day (probably at least 8-10 times) connection drops. Sick and tired of turning the modem off/on, using the Verizon In-Home Agent over and over (which doesnt work half the time, anyway). I wanted Comcast but because someone in my family ordered dirty movies, I owe a past-due balance which I refuse to pay on principle. Anyway, I had enough and asked Verizon to send me a new modem. Same problem...keeps dropping the connection! If someone answers the phone, it cuts out then, too. Hardly worth paying the bill. I go on Facebook and tell everyone I can that Verizon internet sucks. I guess they want you to upgrade to FIOS...especially with all the ads you see splashed all over Direct TV, thats the impression I'm getting!

0 Likes
jijh2009
Enthusiast - Level 2

I been having the same problem in PA. I never had a problem in 5 years up until 2 months ago. I can't get Fios where I live and the only other options are dial-up or satellite. Dial-up is soooo slow and satellite is expensive and your only allowed to download so much content per day. I guess I'm stuck with DSL for now, but I'm looking elsewhere. I'm calling Verizon in the morning to ask for a new modem to see if it'll make any difference. I'm optimistic that it will, but I guess it's worth a shot.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

jersygrl5569 and jijh2009, could you both provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem? That would be appreciated to see where the issue is.

Jersygrl5569, I would place good bets on the line issue being due to a high resistance short or an unfiltered device (alarm system?). If the same problem occurs at the NID, it is an issue that Verizon has to sort out before the problem develops into something that affects even the voice service.

SenseFusion

Same here. Anyone know how to fix this? Also I am in TX close to Houston.

0 Likes