Re: DSL connection speed being throttled back
Kneepuck

Ditto for me.  I was getting about 3mb speed for the first year, then it dropped to about 2.4.  Same results as everyone else when trying to resolve it.  Tech's have been here twice to repair the outside wiring, as the pole got hit by lightning twice, melted everything pretty good. My speed had dropped before they were here though, and they said everything was good in the hardware.  I'm only about 1 mile from the switching station, so that should not have changed anything.  I did notice, when I started watching a lot of video on youtube, that was when all at once my connection speed slowed down and stayed that way.  I figured that Verizon saw I was using all my bandwidth for videos, and they slowed me down to try to make me upgrade my package.  Naa, they wouldn't do that, would they?

0 Likes
hitmehhh
Contributor - Level 1

I was also getting about 5.25 now for the past week I have been getting around 4.40.  They are trying to push us to FIOS. The only thing they are going to push me to is Time Warner Cable.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It looks like you've been optimized due to the longer line you appear to have. 2528 +-5kbps is about right for the system to set. Your upstream still appears to be set to 864kbps but it appears to be out of sync. Again, probably due to distance. Your upstream is also seeing a large amount of corrected FEC errors which shows it's been fighting noise but not experiencing noise-related transfer or connectivity issues. At such a downstream rate you should be able to achieve 2.2Mbps and at the upstream, around 720kbps.

You may need to see what can be done to improve the line a bit more. The full 3Mbps may have been do-able in the past and sustained, but with the new optimization system Verizon has, once it's over-ridden if a line remains marginal it seems to go right back to where it was a month or so later, but it may also be the method being done to set the speed though.

If you're able to, see if you can connect your DSL modem up to your NID via the test jack if it's a more modern NID and use a laptop or other mobile device that can connect up to the modem to get the new statistics. This is just to be sure on where the "problem" may lay.

0 Likes
tksams76
Enthusiast - Level 2

(Oops, signed in as a new user, originally posted as tks1591.)

Sorry it took so long to get back with a reply to your recommendation to connect the modem to the NID.  Here are the results I collected today.

I have three tables, the first is at my workstation, it is the 5th jack in the chain, the second is the modem connected to the NID and the third is the modem connected to the 1st jack coming into the house.

DSL Status

VPI:

VCI:

DSL Mode Setting:

Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode:

ADSL2+

Connection Status:

ShowTime

Speed (down/up):

2525 / 856 kbps

ATM QoS class:

UBR

Output Power (Downstream/Upstream):

12.6 / 0.0 dBm

Attainable Rate (Downstream/Upstream):

6136 / 1064 Kbps

HEC Errors (Downstream/Upstream):

291 / 4294966422

OCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream):

2 / 0

LCD Errors (Downstream/Upstream):

0 / 0

SNR Margin (Downstream/Upstream):

5.1 / 15.1 dB

Attenuation (Downstream/Upstream):

51.5 / 26.7 dB

Modem connected at the NID:

DSL Status

VPI:

VCI:

DSL Mode Setting:

Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode:

ADSL2+

Connection Status:

ShowTime

Speed (down/up):

2525 / 856 kbps

ATM QoS class:

UBR

12.6 / 0.0 dBm

10044 / 1060 Kbps

0 / 0

0 / 0

0 / 0

12.9 / 14.7 dB

51.5 / 26.6 dB

Modem connected at first phone jack coming into house.

DSL Status

VPI:

VCI:

DSL Mode Setting:

Auto

DSL Negotiated Mode:

ADSL2+

Connection Status:

ShowTime

Speed (down/up):

2523 / 856 kbps

ATM QoS class:

UBR

12.6 / 0.0 dBm

6528 / 1048 Kbps

0 / 0

0 / 0

0 / 0

6.5 / 14.7 dB

52.0 / 26.7 dB

If I'm not mistaken, this data sort of suggests that I may have an internal wiring problem, poor connections at the jacks?  I have noticed that the available rate does change occationally.

Any thoughts, suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.  Thanks for taking the time to look this over.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

So I take it these jacks are daisy chained to each other, correct? If so, you may want to consider installing a "Home Run" and a new jack just for the modem. The stats are much better at your NID's test jack as shown. Having an ADSL splitter installed at the NID is also a step for this too. If your home has older wiring that may not be rated for example, as Category 3 cable but instead is Quad style or untwisted cable pair this may be better to do.

As the jacks are daily chained, I would also check each jack behind them for corrosion or loose/improper connections. Also just make sure the jacks are free of dirt and debris, and the prongs are not corroded either. Just some easy things to check, too. To also verify, make sure you don't have any filters installed backyards. They can decrease the noise margin too and cause drops when the device with the backwards filter uses the line or is disconnected otherwise.

tksams76
Enthusiast - Level 2

The jacks are daisy chained together.  I have considered this to be a possible problem given the number of mechanical connections.  The house is wired with Quad cable (untwisted), this was done about 15 years ago.  I gave attention to making sure all wire colors where matched with the corresponding colors on the jacks.  I do have an ADSL splitter installed in the NID, green/red wires service the phones from the splitter and the black/yellow wires service the modem.

I have considered installing a "Home Run" but it may be difficult getting the cable run through the walls to the modem.  Spoke with a nephew yesterday who is a lineman for Verizon ( in the neighborhood working on a neighbors phone), he suggested moving the modem to the basement as close to the NID as possible and plug it in there with as short a cable as possible from the NID to reduce losses.  Would you recommend that I use a Cat 3 cable or a twisted pair cable for this "Home Run"?

Thank you for your input and suggestions.

0 Likes
tksams76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Silly me, Cat 3 is composed of twisted pairs.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I wouldn't use anything less than CAT3 for the homerun when DSL is involved. But yes, your friend there does make a good suggestion. In the case of daily chaining it's ideal to try to get it as close as possible to the NID. The longer the runs go, the more likely the signal is to deteriorate. That's not to say though, that there could be loss coming from elsewhere beyond where the modem is connected to further into the daily chain setup. It is sometimes seen where a jack elsewhere in a home can bother DSL, even if unused.

tksams76
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update -- About a week ago I checked the connections on the jacks in the daisy chain leading to the modem.  I found the very first phone jack to be in poor condition. I removed it from the circuit and installed a distribution junction box.  I am still planning on installing a Cat 3 "Home Run" cable for the modem at some point in the near future.  Today I checked my modem status and the connection speed is again at 3354 Kbs.  It appears the first jack was the problem.  I will monitor this and post again if it changes.  I will also continue with plans to install a Cat 3 "Home Run" line to further improve the line conditions.

Smith6612, thank you for all your help and guidance with this problem.  If this fix holds, I will be one happy camper.

0 Likes