Re: Verizon catch-22
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I should have mentioned this earlier.

When talking to Voice repair, ensure you are not bringing up the DSL. Just mention the static to them. Even if their tests are passing, MLT isn't a set in stone test and can be slightly unreliable depending on the circumstance. This information is coming straight from field techs in Verizon. As long as it is not the phone which is most likely is not, you should be able to get someone out. Sometimes being persistent is enough to get a ticket written.

0 Likes
Static, speeds now degraded, etc.
ctmcmullen

My DSL is now connecting at 775 Kbps / 593 Kbps.  This is much slower than normal, right?  The DSL connection

is marginably more stable -- only *some* phone calls force it to go down.  Is Verizon slowing my connection down to "fix" the problem?  How can I tell?

Static is still bad -- often makes voice calls problematic.   A technician is supposed to come by soon, but based on past experience I am not optimistic.  Any advice on how to get Verizon to actually improve the line is welcome.

0 Likes
Re: Static, speeds now degraded, etc.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Like I mentioned, call Voice repair and get them to repair the line. You may want to try calling from a mobile phone or another line so they can perform a test against the line. Don't mention DSL while I'm at it. The lower speed you're seeing may just be from the DSL modem or DSLAM lowering the sync rate on it's own accord due to the line conditions. If you reboot the modem you shoudld see some of the speed return. Your upstream suggests Verizon hasn't messed with your speed.

0 Likes
Repair complete
ctmcmullen

I got a visit from Verizon DSL (not Voice) today & they traced the problem with the line to the connection from a local switchboard back to the central office.  That connection has now been swapped and the static and DSL drops seem to be fixed.  The problem was visible as "stress" on the line on the tech's meter, and audible as static when the tech's phone was on the NID.

0 Likes
Re: Repair complete
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear it's all fixed up!

0 Likes