Daisy chaining routers
msquare1

I have a laptop-for-kids laptop, and it can't connect to the Actiontec router that Verizon Fios provides.  Micro Center recently opened in Yopnkers, and I got a mailer offeringa free3 Wirel;ess N router.  I picked one up, Tenda model no. W268R) and connected it to the Actiontec router, with simple directions I found the the Verizon discussion groups.  I was quickly cable to connect th4e laptop to the onnected router, but it didn't let me conne4ct to the Web.  After much hair pulling, I connecte4d my desktop PC to the Actiontec router, and found how to add the new router as a network device, using the IP address provided in the Tenda manual - 192.168..0.1.  The new router works.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Daisy chaining routers
Hubrisnxs
Legend

In my opinion that is the best and easiest way to chain routers.  I use this method myself, there are several ways to do it and here are some of the more advanced options for other users, just keep in mind that those are advanced set ups and not supported over the phone or by technician at verizon, so you can do them at your own risk type of thing, and the only support you'll really have is from online users.  If your a DIY (Do it yourself) kinda guy or gal,  then these should work

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

View solution in original post

VZ_Javier
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear Msquare,

Thanks for your insight on the issue.  If you have issues, questions, or concerns related to your Verizon services; please feel free to contact us. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

In my opinion that is the best and easiest way to chain routers.  I use this method myself, there are several ways to do it and here are some of the more advanced options for other users, just keep in mind that those are advanced set ups and not supported over the phone or by technician at verizon, so you can do them at your own risk type of thing, and the only support you'll really have is from online users.  If your a DIY (Do it yourself) kinda guy or gal,  then these should work

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

msquare1

As I said in my post, my new routerr woerked.  My laptiop connecte3d to the  Web through that router. But that was without any security setting.  Every time I tried to set up the new router to implement security, I lost the ability to connect through it.  I had searched Verizon support for instructions on daisy chaining routers, but missed the ones you listed.  I'll go back and read them.  I don't want to leave the new trouter running for anyone to enter, because it would seeem to open my whole local network to intruders.

Yes, I'm a DIY guy.  I've been using computers since the mid-1960s, and I'm still learning.

0 Likes