Does the FIOS Gigabit Router (G1100) require both ethernet and coax ?
blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I had my internet upgraded from 75/75 to gigabit a few days ago. The installer ran an ethernet cable from the ONT to the new gigabit router. He also connected the old coax cable. I asked him why there was 2 cables for the new router and he responded by saying the TV's On Demand feature needed the coax. I still don't understand since the DVR is fed by it's own coax cable. Why does the new gigabit router need both cables ?

Glenn

Fairless Hills, PA

Fios G1100 Gigabit Router

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does the FIOS Gigabit Router (G1100) require both ethernet and coax ?
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have TV service or other MOCA devices its necessary.  Such device talk over coax (MOCA) to the G1100, which then talks over tne ethernet (wan) connection to the ONT and the Internet.

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have TV service or other MOCA devices its necessary.  Such device talk over coax (MOCA) to the G1100, which then talks over tne ethernet (wan) connection to the ONT and the Internet.

blueribb
Contributor - Level 1

I'm not 100% sure I understand. Are you saying that the ONT's coax connection no longer connects to the internet  but only allows devices to "talk" to one another and connect to the internet through the G1100's ethernet cable ?

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes, the IP WAN connection to the Ont is either MOCA WAN (COAX) or Ethernet, not both. 

Other than the router none of your devices use direct IP to the ONT.  All external IP traffic goes through your router.  MOCA lan or ethernet.  If you have TV services you likely have both MOCA Lan and ethernet/wifi devices that need to talk through the router.  MOCA lan devices can talk directly to each other, other devices need routers or network switches.

Convential TV signals do travel one-way directly from the ONT to you STB's over COAX,

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes