Re: E3200 FIOS Extender - ethernet delay
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

One would think that an extender "designed to be used with the new router" would not create such a major inconvenience.  

0 Likes
SebKuk
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am also having this issue and thought that I would throw in my two cents.

I have two computers connected to the extender, albeit in a kind of funky setup.

The first is plugged in directly to one of the ethernet ports on the extender. It is a desktop with an MSI motherboard and Realtek ethernet chip. When I boot it up, it takes between 1 and 2 minutes to change from "Unknown Network" to "Network 9 - Internet Access" and allow me to use the internet.

Now it gets a little strange with the other one. I also have some powerline adapters that I use to get Ethernet up to the 3rd floor of my house, and to increase powerline strength, the "root" adapter is on the second floor where this extender is. It is plugged into the other ethernet port on the extender, and when first set up, it did take a couple minutes to connect. However, because both of my ports are now used, and I still have another computer (ancient Gateway desktop running Ubuntu Server 22.04 LTS as a web server) to connect. So, this one is connected to the other port in the same powerline adapter, basically allowing that to act as a switch? kind of. And the behavior here is that when it boots up, it gets internet immediately. So, the powerline adapter, because it is always on, somehow lets the devices connected to it get immediate access.

Does anyone have a decent solution? Has anyone tried the static IP set in the OS thing? If not, do we have an ETA for a fix? Does engineering have an update?

Thanks!

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very interesting. Yes I am convinced that the issue pertains to the Ethernet  port not sensing any signal and therefore shutting down. Which of course is the opposite that you want because when you hardwired or something you expect it to be there 24 hours a day just ready and waiting. at first I noticed it only when my computer went into sleep mode and I was losing it every time. So I played with energy settings energy efficiency settings etc. with no luck. I thought maybe the router was actually going into a sleep mode but apparently that’s not the case.  Then when the device wakes up it tries to re-establish the connection which takes forever. Now I have had to move it into a back room connected to a Samsung TV that i don’t use often so the delay is not too big deal but again you hardwire something you expect a signal to be there constantly. 

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

If there is any estimated time of completion for this or even if they are working on it it would be good to know

0 Likes
SebKuk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Ok, another interesting behavior... very interesting actually.

The PC that takes a couple of minutes to connect to the internet is still connected to the LAN as far as I can tell. Here's why:

1. Before it is fully connected to the internet it still says "Unidentified network" and has an IP address
  2. I have Wake-on-LAN set up and it works fine too even when the computer is fully powered off

So there has to be something with the router's internal switch maybe? 

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I noticed that as well. I tried playing with all the “wake on” switches (checking and unchecking) in both windows and the limited router options.  Tried googling every possible efficiency or energy box in windows thinking a new update did it. It does not like the sensation of losing power for some reason. I suspect that it is disconnecting every time for some power consumption reason. Can’t prove it. The router itself seems to work fine with a hard wired connection. 

0 Likes
NuRxHunter1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same problem of delay (seems like 55 secs is about right) since getting the E3200 extender for my ethernet with a Gigbyte fanless system.  I have no WiFi adapter.  The problem reported by the Win network troubleshooter seems to be 'no valid IP address'.  Others here have said switching to static IP does not solve the problem. Guessing 3200 MoCA users are a tiny fraction of WiFi or other modes of internet connection, so perhaps Verizon cannot fix this and simply refuses to admit it.  Sure, 55 secs is not so long, even if it seems to be quintuple that while waiting.  Multiply that wait time by umpteen users and it exacerbates any low esteem for Verizon we customers may have.   I got a TOTL silent computer for silence--AND--to enjoy instant turn-on from sleep mode.   The wait time ruins the latter--right?   I have fiddled with every setting I could think of and that was advised by others in various blogs, to no avail.  This blog seems to be the most current right now, and as of yet has offered no fix.    

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@NuRxHunter wrote:

Others here have said switching to static IP does not solve the problem.

Others have mistaken Static DHCP reservation for static IP. Static IP means directly configure the IP address to your Network Interface Card. This method works because static IP does not rely on DHCP, which E3200 is blocking part of the DHCP transaction.

Districtdoc

I have the exact same problem connected my  PC via ethernet to the lan and there's a delay with unidentified network for about 55 seconds before it connects. Is there a guide to the static IP workaround, I tried it and all it did was disconnect me from the internet, I'm assuming I have to do something else. 

It would be nice if verizon can push an update to fix this extender lan issue. My alternative options are to buy a a moca, get a wifi adapter, or get ethernet wiring to the bedrooms from the router, but this seems like something that can be fixed on verizon's end.

0 Likes
MontevideoBogTe

Hello,

I believe I did as you suggested and assigned a Static IP in Windows 10 "Network Connection Details".   In that window, "DCHP Enabled" says "No".  I am still having the very same issue everyone else has mentioned--it takes my computer about a minute to recognize the network to which I am plugged into via ethernet to the E3200 extender.  

I followed this guide to set a static IP:

https://www.hellotech.com/guide/for/how-to-set-static-ip-windows-10

I would appreciate any suggestions you might have.  Perhaps that guide was wrong.

0 Likes