Re: E3200 FIOS Extender - ethernet delay
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Substantial Ethernet delay is not observed on G3100. I don't have a CR1000A in my lab, so I could not verify its Ethernet performance.

Regarding IPv6 breaking Intel NICs, disabling IPv6 is NOT advisable. The fault seems to be at Intel NIC, not IPv6, since other vendor's NIC work well with IPv6. The solution is either replace all Intel NICs, or follow Intel's suggestion to turn off IPv6 TCP Checksum Offload in Adapter Settings on every device using Intel NIC. IPv6 is long awaited by some customers because IPv6 does not require the NAT feature in the router. In fact, IPv6 theoretically eliminates the need of a router and a layer 3 switch with DHCP-PD or DHCPv6 function would do the job. Notice IPv6 does not eliminate the need of a firewall.

Game consoles historically do not like NAT, so they and multiplayer games would thrive with IPv6.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Could you imagine the thought of being able to hardwire into the extender that is designed for the 3200 and have it work without the need to modify settings!

0 Likes
sweetpotatofish

I disabled IPv6 in my router, no change.
I'm on Firmware 3.1.1.17 
Hardware Version 1104

0 Likes
SebKuk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just an update on this: I posted a while ago about using a powerline adaptor with ethernet ports as an ethernet switch to keep everything "awake" while it is off, and I just got around to buying an actual switch. I got a TP-Link 8 port switch for $20 but there are cheaper options that can be as low as $12 or $15 for a 5 port gigabit switch. It has worked great for this purpose and my computer connects immediately now.

However, this cannot be considered a solution, and is instead a workaround that we should not have to pay money for. Hope this helps!

OliverPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

I can confirm that adding a simple gigabit switch between the extender and ethernet-connected devices solves the connection delay issues. I agree that this should not be necessary, but it's the least painful solution I can see at this point.

0 Likes
rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thank you very much for the reply.  Can you please explain the setup you have and the items you purchased?  Where does the gigabit switch sit in the setup?  How does it connect to the extender?  Does anything connect from the extender to the switch?  Could you provide a pic?

0 Likes
Re: E3200 Fios Extender - ethernet delay
OliverPgh
Enthusiast - Level 2

The switch sits between the extender and your ethernet devices.

Any (gigabit) switch should do. I just got a cheap unmanaged 5-port TP-Link TL-SG105 for about $15 from Amazon. You will also need one extra ethernet cable in addition to the cables you are currently using as well as a free power outlet for the switch.

All you need to do is unplug all ethernet devices from the extender and plug them into the switch instead. Then connect the switch with the extra ethernet cable to the extender (I connected port 5 on the switch with port 1 on the extender, but it probably doesn't matter).

Finally, plug the switch into your power outlet. Done.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Great. Thank you very much for the feedback and any update you could provide would be greatly appreciated

0 Likes
David910

I can confirm, the work around of using a gigabite switch as a middle man removes the issues of the  second downtime after a reboot to get onto the internet from a hardwire connection to the extender.

We shouldn't need to use work arounds, verizon needs to address and fix the issue, but it helps for now.

0 Likes
NuRxHunter1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hey man - thanks for the 'solution' to the extender delay to wake up issue.  Works perfectly.  Got the same model as you, I think $17 from Amzn; I already had one, got another.  I also had massive issues with slow internet speed, I mean like olden-modem days slow. Could not watch a lowrez Utube videos at times or even scroll through Amazon product static pictures without delays.  Truly awful speed. Spoke with three V techs--they were of no help.  V sent a new extender, but before I set it up, I disabled checkmark for IPv6 in the router dialog box of Windows, not in the router interface, and only on the remote PC attached to the extender.   All my problems went away.  3200/3100 combo works perfectly.  I'm getting 900+ download and 300-700 upload depending on time of day, reported both by the V and 2 other speedtest sites, and this is with either Coax/Mocha at extender or wireless throughout the house.  In fact, I don't need that much speed and might downgrade from Giga to 300 internist service.  Thanks again Seb for for tip on the extender.  The two minute wait was not end of world, but 5 secs is much better--esp out of sleep, having a SS fanless PC.