Ethernet issue
Mkstretch141
Enthusiast - Level 3

I bought a cat 7 coupler and a 35ft cat 7 cable. I have cat 6 coming in from the fios ont. I hooked it up and it worked fine for a week and then it went out.  I hooked it back up to the original confirmation and all works.  I used an Ethernet tester and connected and 8 wire lights up. I’m lost here. Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Ethernet issue
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cat 7 is way overkill. Since Cat 7 is shielded cable, if you don't ground the foil properly, it's going to cause problems. Cat6a can take 10Gbps already for 330 feet, Car7 is unnecessary for 10Gbps. Right now, the fastest Fios you can get is 2.3Gbps.

What do you mean by it went out? Are the link LEDs on the ONT/router still on when your Internet is out? If the link LEDs are on, that means the link is fine, which means it is not a cable issue.

Re: Ethernet issue
Mkstretch141
Enthusiast - Level 3

yeah I found out after the fact that cat 7 is way much.  The link lights on router we’re on I think.  The globe light on the router went red. When it was out. The testing I did on the cable came back good. Also the cable I bought came with connectors already. I did not add them.

0 Likes