Every evening in primetime Verizon throttles service to 2.5% of what we pay for.
mikey9980
Enthusiast - Level 1

EVERY SINGLE EVENING in prime time (8pm -ish to midnight) our 75/75 service slows to 2/20.  That's 2mbs download!   This is one piece of evidence that shows its a service throttling that the upload would be so much higher.   I measure it off a wired connection directly to the main Fios router.  I run pings continuously and when the service is normal, pinging Verizon.com, CNN, weather.com etc... is typically in the 10's of ms.  During the intentional Verizon throttling of our services, it goes to several hundred ms ping times, peaking over a 1.5 SECONDS at times, and even timing out!  It's like developing country internet service.

Worse, they do not communicate the fact they are intentionally ripping their customers to their support center, so the oblivious call center people treat it as a problem on your end and make you do all kinds of stuff for an hour just to then throw up their arms and say they can't explain it and need to ship you a new router (last support call!).

So there is literally no recourse here.   Verizon is going to charge for certain speeds and then intentionally not deliver them and during the time most of us use it (they are delivering 2.5% of their contracted speed).  And we cannot use customer service to get the service level WE PAID FOR because they intentionally keep them in the dark about it.

I've thought about buying a higher speed but it does not sound like the speed means anything!  When you need to use it, Verizon may have decided that you are not going to get the speed you paid for at that time.

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Every evening in primetime Verizon throttles service to 2.5% of what we pay for.
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you in a MDU setup with VDSL to your modem?

If so, that setup is overdue for an upgrade.

0 Likes
Re: Every evening in primetime Verizon throttles service to 2.5% of what we pay for.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

75/75 isn't sold on VDSL Service. The best you get on that is maybe 20Mbps upload...

But on that note, OP should tell us what ONT they have from Verizon. It is possible to get 75Mbps/75Mbps service on Verizon's BPON fiber network. If they are still on BPON, OP needs to call Verizon and ask for Mix & Match 200Mbps (or 300Mbps) Internet. It's probably going to be cheaper, and they will force an ONT upgrade as part of the process. There might be a small upgrade fee, but it will fix the problem. Honestly at this point, I'd be surprised if Verizon hasn't reached out to get the BPON ONT replaced.

@mikey9980 , what ONT do you have from Verizon? Let's start there. 

0 Likes