Extremely slow Internet Speed
RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

About 3 weeks ago, I noticed that my internet speed has dropped from the normal 13-14 mbps download to between 0.5-4.0 mbps download, and similar results in upload. My ping has risen from the normal 30ms to anywhere from 250 to 1000ms. It's ridiculous. Loading pages, uploading files, or watching Youtube videos poses a challenge. Forbid if I try to play a game online on my PlayStation 3 (which, yes, is working now). I've been putting off calling Verizon because I fear being on hold for an hour just to be told that I need to reboot my router (which I've done several times) or that I need to pay a service charge to have someone come out and do something that won't help. Is this a known problem? Is there something I can do myself?

I live in Buffalo, NY.

Re: Extremely slow Internet Speed
RMN3
Enthusiast - Level 3

I'm not sure if this would help but ave you tried resetting the Verizon ONT box? You will have to unplug it and also disconnect the battery from the part thats indoors.

RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have not. I'm assuming that this is the part that they installed in my basement. Obviously you wouldn't know that but you could assume. If another answer doesn't come up I'll try that.

jamesmarsden
Enthusiast - Level 2

see the thread

Slow FIOS download speeds in Northern NJ

in particluar my last post, which stated:

OK, Verizon sent me a replacement router, which had no affect.
Recall, I "tested" my speed to the Verizon NJ speed test server, as well as to other speed test servers offered by others.
I also reset my ONT.
I also "optimized" my settings with the Verizon widget.
I also tested from three differnet PCs.
After all of the above, I continued to receive 500 Kbps download and 5 Meg upload over a period of several days.
Second tier support contacted and a service order issued to replace my ONT.
Guess what....that evening my speed went up to what its supposed to be 15 Meg download and 5 Meg upload.
The technican came the next day anyway.
I told him my speed was now normal, and asked him if he could tell me what they did.
He said that he does not have that information.
So he closed out my ticket without having to do anything.
My quesiton to the forum is....is Verizon throttling the network for "special" customers.
My son came home from college, and has been doing quite a bit of heavy downloading.
Coincidence that I am having network problems now?   I don't think so. 
So the moral of the story is....keep calling tech support.
RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Very interesting. I will call tech support then. Thank you. If it resolves the problem I will accept your post as the solution and give you kudos. Meanwhile, any other input would be appreciated.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

We did have a pretty nasty wind storm in the area that really messed around with the power grid (I'm in Niagara County where we had peak winds of 88MPH. Never lost power but I know the grid was unhappy the entire day) and might have also damaged some fiber plant in the process (though that cable is rather strong anyhow from all of the armor). I know some PCs in the area have had some issues as a result of those power issues. One I worked on had to be unplugged for some time because the motherboard was malfunctioning. Rebooting the ONT and router at the same time is a good first check. The ONT can be rebooted by switching off the router, disconnecting the Battery Backup unit from AC Power, and then disconnecting the battery. Reconnect the battery after a few minutes and then plug the ONT back in. From there, turn on your router.

Also if you have TV service or Voice Service with Verizon, are you having any issues with either service? Pixelation or choppy sound on the TV, and choppy sound on the phone would indicate trouble with either the ONT or the Fiber line.

I also wouldn't worry too much about a service charge. As long as the problem is with Verizon's equipment, they should cover it at their expense. I'm also not aware of any large issues in Buffalo regarding Internet access. My DSL is working fine, and a few relatives of mine who have FiOS haven't complained to me about the slow speeds. Each month on my 1Mbps DSL line I'm using roughly 100-120GB, which is all that can really be done due to our line speed at the times we're online. Not once have I seen my speed drop due to something that wasn't a technical issue. The last technical reason I had was due to that heat wave two days ago. My phone line hasn't been seeming to cope nicely with high heat and humidity as it's getting static and killing the DSL in the process. I'll have to get Verizon out to fix that before it worsens. Even more recently, a transformer blew up nearby that was lighting up the entire sky and that for sure caused some rather nasty 60Hz humming on the line. Didn't kill the DSL, but knowing how electricity works that isn't a surprise to see. Not a whole lot that can be done about that.

RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

I was going to include this but I actually forgot. I noticed this happen ever since that wind storm you speak of, here in Orchard Park we did receive a very quick power outage and ever since then is that it was slow. The TVs have not had many problems except a few times I noticed that, when playing back DVR, I would get an "error connecting to DVR hub" or similar error, but not frequently at all. I have not noticed anything with the phone since we never use it.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad I pointed that out then 😛 . Anyhow, see what rebooting the ONT and router does. If that doesn't solve the issue, get Verizon out to check the fiber line/ONT for damage. If all goes well, Internet service should return to normal, and the issues you are having with VOD should be fixed. If VOD isn't fixed, give the STBs a reboot as well.

RapideGT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Will do that tomorrow and then check back here. Thanks.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Just an FYI, there is an easier way to reboot the ONT. If you go to the battery backup unit, you will find a blue button that says "alarm silence". If you push and hold the "alarm silence" button for 10 seconds it will reboot the ONT. I've tested this on my own ONT, works like a charm. Much easier than removing the battery. Smiley Wink