FIOS Internet upload speed issue
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Since two weeks I have major issue with upload speed. My FIOS Internet is 100/100 but what I'm getting over speedtest.net or other speed sites is range between 100/15 to 100/30. I have wasted 3 hrs talking to Verizon tech support but each time they are sending me to test at http://my.verizon.com/services/speedtest/ which is an internal speed test (Verizon router to dedicated Verizon speed test server) not a real internet connections speed test.

When I have asked about how I can connect to another server at their site they have told me this is not possible which it makes more that Verizon speed test is a dedicated app to provide what only their network is cappable of.

Any clue what is going on?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: FIOS Internet upload speed issue
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Unfortunately, you're running into one of the vagaries of the Internet....routing.  And Verizon won't assume responsiblity for speeds once you're outside their network.

Are you actually getting 100/100 on the Verizon test site?

Have you tried various servers via speedtest.net, rather than just accepting the default it finds?  I've experienced that I don't always get the best results letting speedtest.net select a server based on the lowest ping.

From here on Long Island I get consistent results of over 80/80 with my 75/75 plan using the Optimum Online service in NYC.  If you haven't already, you might try that one. 

If you still get those slow speeds you might try changing your DNS server.  You can use a free utility from https://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm to find the best DNS servers from your location.  That may help.  Or may not.

If not, I'm out of ideas but I feel your pain.

JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

On Verizon speed test site I'm getting 100/100 but this is not an objective speed test site as can display as Verizon want to based on your IP and their database of customers. Even their tech guy told me that 100/100 is whatever they offer within their network, whatever it means, they do not manage speedtest.net, is not reliable test site, but I had agreed on the internet speed not "their" network as I'm not working on Verizon servers.

NYC Optimum Online test is 101/12 and two weeks ago I had 100/96 which was fine for me.

Another test servers in NYC:

Three different test destinations - similar resuts and Verizon is telling me that is wrong just to rip me off from money not providing right speed to the internet.

Here is all what I have done today:

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Last tech support told me that Verizon do not guarantee the internet speed only their network speed.

I can have 5/5 on the internet and pay for 100/100 but Verizon doesn't care about it.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

But you're actually getting ~100/100 on the Verizon speedtest?

When I run the Verizon speedtest it uses a NYC server, pretty close to those you used on speedtest.net.  I get approximately the same results on the Verizon test and several of those speedtest.net servers.

If you're getting 100 mb/s up on the Verizon test site but those low speeds on other nearby servers, I'm stumped.  It seems we're testing the same way but I'm seeing dramatically better results.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Most ISPs will only guarantee on their network.

They have no way to guarantee performance from there.

That's why a lot of times you will see ads that say up to XX download speed.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I mentioned earlier in this thread, CRob, that ISP's only guarantee results in their network, and those via a hardwired connection.  But the OP and I are about the same distance from NYC (in different directions).  How do you figure that I get bascially the same results with the Verizon test in NYC and with speedtest.net servers around the NYC area, but the OP doesn't?

I guess it's possible that the OP is being routed to the Verizon test server in a satisfactory manner but is being taken outside the Verizon network before reaching the NYC area when using speedtest.net.

JackTheKnife....

You might try changing your WAN IP address.  Lots of posts on the forum on how to do that.  Let us know if want to try it and need help.

And then there's the DNS test I mentioned earlier.  If it is a routing problem you're having a different DNS server may help.

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

Now they are blaming speedtest.net site as they (Verizon) do not support 3rd party speed tests when speedtest.net uses same speed engine as Verizon does.

0 Likes
JackTheKnife
Enthusiast - Level 3

They have changed my WAN IP - same result - blamin speedtest.net website

I have switched DNS to fastes one - still same.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Have you tried any real world upload tests?

This is a typical result I get uploading to a web server, measured with DU Meter:

0 Likes