Re: Fios Gateway 5 GHz Wireless radio unstable
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

As long as the Verizon router is still connectedf as a router all TV functions will function normally.

I have WiFi turned off on my router and it doesn't affect VOD or any other functions on our TV's.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@edspyhill09 wrote:

Here is a solution I think will work. 

1) Use the Fios Gateway just as a router. 

2) Shut down the wireless radios. 

3) Buy a commercial wireless access point and use that as my wireless router. 

4) Connect the dedicated, commercial wireless access point router to the Fios Gateway to get to the Internet.

Verizon should refund any monthly fees we have paid to test their router.

Agreed!  I bought a router and configured it as an access point.  That way if you go switch to cable and want to get your own modem, you have a greater router to pair with it.  There are also a lot more options in the router arena.

0 Likes
edspyhill091
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, My solution exactly.  I had a wireless router so I shut off the Verizon router radios and configured the dedicated wireless router to wireless.  Works much better and the wireless router is not one of the most powerful.  My 5Ghz wireless connection works flawlessly and is a solid connection.  No longer have 5Ghz dead zones.  The Verizon Fios Gateway router does not provide reliable service.  I'd rather go back to my ActionTec router.

0 Likes
carmine_natale
Enthusiast - Level 2

i am also having this problem.

does the firmware update fix it?

do i have to manually update it?

thanks.

0 Likes
richbury

Had a very weak 5G wireless signal.Bought a extender before i read your post changed 5G channel from automatic to channel 40 signal strength when from weak to

very good .Many thanks for the help

0 Likes