Fios TV Mobile app
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have no idea if this is the correct group.  If not, please re-direct me.

I have been using the Fios TV Mobile app on my iPhone with no problem.  Then, around the beginning of March I was out of town and it stopped working.  It appears the app was upgraded.  Anyhow, it wouldn't let me connect until I returned home.  Once connected it would only work within the room with the box.  If I went out of the room it would drop. 

Messing around I found I had three iPhones paired with the box.  I deleted all three and tried to pair my current phone.  It wouldn't pair.  I turned off my phone and box and rebooted my router.   Nothing.

My internet setup is I have the FIOS router. The set top box is connected to that by an ethernet cable.   A pair of Orbis is connected to the router and they are my primary internet access. 

I hope this is enough information.  If not let me know what else you need.

RBP
Labels (1)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios TV Mobile app
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem solved.

The Fios TV Mobile app must be connected to a Fios router in order for it to be “registered.”  I had done this several years ago on the previous release and only recently installed the Orbi routers.  Netgear has you turn off your Fios router, the implication being they can’t both be on at the same time.  That is wrong and it prevents you from registering the app.  Since I only use the app when I am away from home I never realized it wasn’t working at home anymore.

What I did was to turn the Fios router back on and give it a different network name than the Otbi network.  At that point it was easy to log into the Fios network and register the app.  However, it is important to note that the app seems to know the IP address where it was registered so it cannot connect via the Orbi network.  Therefore, if I need to use the app from home for any reason I either have to switch to the Fios network or turn WiFi off and use the 5G iPhone network.

Having registered the app my first thought was to turn the Fios router off again.  Then i realized it is 3X as fast as the Otbi network which would be useful for any really big downloads such as an OS upgrade.  Therefore, I have left it running.

RBP

View solution in original post

rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

I forgot to mention that I am running IOS 16.3.1 on my iPhone.

RBP
0 Likes
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

This seems to be router sensitive.  I had the wireless turned off on the Verizon router because I was using their Orbis.  I left the Orbis on and turned on the Verizon router as well, giving it a different name.  When I selected that name on my iPhone I could connect.  When i selected the Orbi name I could not.  Now, the big question is what happens when I am away? 

RBP
0 Likes
rbpeirce
Enthusiast - Level 3

Problem solved.

The Fios TV Mobile app must be connected to a Fios router in order for it to be “registered.”  I had done this several years ago on the previous release and only recently installed the Orbi routers.  Netgear has you turn off your Fios router, the implication being they can’t both be on at the same time.  That is wrong and it prevents you from registering the app.  Since I only use the app when I am away from home I never realized it wasn’t working at home anymore.

What I did was to turn the Fios router back on and give it a different network name than the Otbi network.  At that point it was easy to log into the Fios network and register the app.  However, it is important to note that the app seems to know the IP address where it was registered so it cannot connect via the Orbi network.  Therefore, if I need to use the app from home for any reason I either have to switch to the Fios network or turn WiFi off and use the 5G iPhone network.

Having registered the app my first thought was to turn the Fios router off again.  Then i realized it is 3X as fast as the Otbi network which would be useful for any really big downloads such as an OS upgrade.  Therefore, I have left it running.

RBP