Fios internet battery backup unit
venkman1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does the battery in the ONT do anything for internet service, or only phone service? Note I have a UPS connected to my fios router, so my wifi doesn't go out when the electricity goes. I'm wondering if the connection from the router to the outside world via the ONT does go out in the event of a power outage.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios internet battery backup unit
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As said you need power on the ONT, ROUTER, your device, and internet switch you have.  The BBU will only supply power for a couple of minutes to the ONT before switching to PHONE backup only.

View solution in original post

TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

In Ask the Community 

Type in 

Fios during power outages

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Short answer ... No.

The BBU hold up the circuitry for the phone side of the equipment only.  While putting a UPS on your ONT would result in holding up power to the ONT for everything in the event of power failure, there is a possibility the a distribution unit someone along the path between the head end and your house will also be without power when you lose it -- in which case, it doesn't matter anyhow.  

I do however have the same setup -- a UPS on my ONT in addition to the BBU.

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

As said you need power on the ONT, ROUTER, your device, and internet switch you have.  The BBU will only supply power for a couple of minutes to the ONT before switching to PHONE backup only.