Fios optical cables connected outside
Chrisl2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

PXL_20221220_141134274.jpg

 Hello,

My Fios installation was completed last week. The technician left the outdoor black fiber optical cable connected to the white fiber optical cable outside. The green connector is exposed to the elements but mostly sheltered from all but heavy rain. 

Questions: Is the white cable uv resistant? Is the optical coupler connection sufficiently weather resistant to avoid problems? 

Thank you. 

Chris

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Fios optical cables connected outside
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader
That looks good and professional. My ONT is outside in a similar box. I'm surprised your was not.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Seeing that connection out in the open where it could be subjected to vandalism makes me a bit uneasy. The drop cable is weather resistant. I don't know about the white. If the information can be located on the outer jacket, an Internet search should find the spec sheet.  🙂

Chrisl2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey Dexman,

Here is what I see on the white cable:

Corning Optical Cable SS-946IC1 - 001.  SMF   MBR 5.0 MM E219104  OFNR  C (UL) OFN-FT4   0486  MT

I've tried searching for SS-946IC1 but haven't seen the spec sheet online. 

Thanks.

Chris

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The white is called the ruggedized ClearCurve fiber. You can staple it 40 times without noticeable attenuation. That being said, whether UV-resistant or not might not be correlated with its resistance to physical damage or bending.

I need to summon @Edg1 here.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Optical cable should be fine. As for the connector, I would be a bit more worried about that. It might not hurt to ask Verizon to come out and put that inside of an enclosure.

Chrisl2022
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks all. I ended up putting the connection and cables in an enclosure. For the remaining exposed white cable I taped with exterior tape and painted with Karnak 501. 

PXL_20230102_212450967.jpg

PXL_20221222_203615533.jpg

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader
That looks good and professional. My ONT is outside in a similar box. I'm surprised your was not.