Re: G3100 loses connectivity when computer sleeps
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

This sounds like UPnP may be to blame. Turn off UPnP in your router and see if the disconnects continue.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just unchecked the "UPnP Enabled" box in the router settings.  Tried and no luck.  Still disconnects when sleep.  Will the Wireshark tell us something?

0 Likes
jgc11

I'm having similar issues with my computer waking from sleep and then taking awhile to reacquire the internet connection.  I noticed it also happens to my Roku tv.

All of the computer equipment was used in my old house when I was using Optimum, and did not have any problems waking from sleep in this manner.  I moved to a new home a couple months ago and got FIOS installed, E3200 router.  Tech support had no clue on the phone about the internet connectivity problem but tried to do what they could on their end and then sent a guy to my home to swap out both routers and it didn't make a difference.  The guy who was at my home assured me he was going to contact someone he knew to help figure this out...but never followed up with me and didn't return my messages 😕  I didn't have the patience to continue from there, but hopefully some of this info helps you narrow things down.  Its not just you, I do believe it has something to do with the way  FIOS is configuring something on their end.  Good luck 🙂

0 Likes
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Select the desired network interface and capture. Then plug in your Ethernet cable and see what packets are being transferred from the NIC of the computer to the NIC of the router. I believe this is a computer operating system issue. Did you upgrade your Windows OS after swapping to a G3100?

Once the link is up and a static IP address is set, there's no need for the Windows operating system to "Identify" the network.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jgc1 wrote:

Its not just you, I do believe it has something to do with the way  FIOS is configuring something on their end.

I don't quite follow your logic here. Verizon controls the WAN side of the network, while individual users control the LAN side of the network. These two networks are separated by the router and a change in one network would not propagate across network boundaries.

For example, having a layer 2 looping and broadcast storms in your LAN won't affect the network of your neighbors who also subscribed to Fios, but would render your network congested.

Does Windows OS now have some private physical address or some private features?

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

thanks again.  Glad to see i am not the only one with this issue.  Unfortunately, it is not a computer operating system because receive the same issue on Window10, Windows 11 (brand new laptop) and two Mac book pros.  i thought the same thing until i tried the other computers.  Ti even tried a new cable vs old cables.  The only variable that changed is the new G3100 router.  Never had this issue with the 1100 router.  Something is shutting off the LAN when it senses that there is no power or something.  i am not a Tech guy so i am struggling with explaining?  Seems like an energy consumption feature. Any other thoughts or is the answer to never let my computer sleep again.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I haven't seen this particular problem.

As a workaround, as suggested, disable the sleep function under "Settings" in the Windows computers to see if anything changes.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks again.  Seems as though i am the only person with this issue--or perhaps the only one that has a problem with it :). Yes, i can disable the sleep function and it is OK.  but now my computer can never sleep.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

That is the downside. The computer screen can still go dark though.

rld20211
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess that is it then.  No more suggestions. 

0 Likes