G3100 some (not all) devices not reachable
MandelAnesth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a G3100 (HW 1104, Firmware 3.1.1.18). Pretty standard settings, IP4 DHCP range 64-255.

I have two MacBook Pros, both (now) upgraded to OS 14. They are sitting 10 feet apart. My machine has no issues with WiFi network connectivity, the other has no connectivity to devices outside the local network and limited connectivity to the local network from WiFi. If I plug it in to the wired ethernet, everything works fine. I have tried disabling SON; no change. I've assigned the device a static IP address, no change. I can't ping it from the router or the other Mac.  I've run the Apple Network Diagnostics and don't see anything obvious. The WiFi setup for the 2 machines is the similar. There are no log entries on the G3100 of greater severity than INFO. Of course, the working machine is mine and the non-working one is my wife's.

Suggestions?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: G3100 some (not all) devices not reachable
MandelAnesth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I may have discovered the culprit; I have an old TP-Link Wireless Access Point upstairs that I needed to get WiFi in the bedroom. When I disconnected that, my wife was able to connect to the network. I'm guessing her MBP was finding that instead of the G3100, and it wasn't properly routing to the rest of the local network.

I walked around with my MBP in diagnostic mode (option-click on the WiFi icon) and I can see most of the house gets coverage from the 5GHz 1 channel, a little bit from the 2.4 Ghz channel, and nowhere do I see the 5GHz 2 channel. RSSI is ~ -20 dB right by the G3100 (basement), in the 70s on the first floor, and ~80 in the bedroom. Not sure it's worth the trouble figuring out how to configure the TP-Link.

Thanks

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 You are sure that you are connected to the correct wireless network?

As need be, change the SSID/Name and connect to that new SSID/Name.

#2 Besides the power supply what else has a wired connection to the G3100?

#3 Do you have any wireless entenders?

MandelAnesth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I may have discovered the culprit; I have an old TP-Link Wireless Access Point upstairs that I needed to get WiFi in the bedroom. When I disconnected that, my wife was able to connect to the network. I'm guessing her MBP was finding that instead of the G3100, and it wasn't properly routing to the rest of the local network.

I walked around with my MBP in diagnostic mode (option-click on the WiFi icon) and I can see most of the house gets coverage from the 5GHz 1 channel, a little bit from the 2.4 Ghz channel, and nowhere do I see the 5GHz 2 channel. RSSI is ~ -20 dB right by the G3100 (basement), in the 70s on the first floor, and ~80 in the bedroom. Not sure it's worth the trouble figuring out how to configure the TP-Link.

Thanks

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, let me guess, it is either an IP conflict or layer 2 looping.

MandelAnesth
Enthusiast - Level 2

I gave up trying to figure out what it was doing, as even with the TP-Link sitting next to my MBP, it goes to the G3300 rather than the TP-Link. Since the G3300 covers the entire house, I'm retiring the TP-Link.

Thanks!

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes