Re: How do i convince Verizon to bring either DSL to my area? What can i do?
prisaz
Legend

I feel your pain. In the mid 1990s I was too far from Verizons Central office so I had a third party provide DSL. $625 to have the dry pair provisioned by Verizon and $90 a month gave me 768k/768k and 5 Static IP addresses. Business class. At the time cable was only one way and still required outbound dial up. It had to go, so I bit the bullet. Once Verizon had DSL where I could get it I switched. But that took 5 years.

Back to your issue. If Verizon is not in your area then perhaps you could go the same route. If Internet access is that important for you there may be a third party that can do DSL. By law the local exchange carrier must provide access to your line or another line to your property if available. But there could be many factors that cause line quality or distance not to work for DSL. If your location is not in a densely populated area then you may be out of luck. My brother is in the Shenandoah Valley Virginia and is service by Shentel, he just got 768k last year.

I hope Verizon does move into your area with FIOS because it's great. I think they have been moving into market areas where they previously had no copper. If Verizon does not provide phone service in your area there may be a reason. You should do as the other post says, and petition local government for changes.

0 Likes
mtpalms2u

FYI:

I am unable to log into my mtpalms account anymore. At home I either get a username and password do not match error, or a "zip code unavailable" error. When I tried to log in at work, I got the username and password do not match error, and when I try to retrieve my password it says, "The User is not active, Please Activate the account" 

Back on topic.

I'm not convinced the copper argument or population density applies in my case. The only difference between my DSL-less neighborhood and the neighborhood next door, is the age of the exchange building; theirs is newer, but also further from the main office. Our neighborhood has new copper, the building has fiber optic leading up to it, and the population density is identical. It seems to me that upgrading our building would pay for itself relatively quickly.

I've looked at the fios maps, and it looks to me like they are rolling it out in urban areas that already have broadband internet, at least in my area. If an area had no "copper", and by that I assume you mean no phone lines at all, then it makes sense hat they are running fiber optic.  

The issue for most of us in this thread is that they do not want to upgrade our existing equipment so we can get broadband. Imo, none of their excuses are viable.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

My comment was that Verizon has expanded and installed FIOS services in areas they did not previously serve. They did not have copper, as in Verizon did not have copper. There is copper but someone elses, and Verizon has expanded to offer their services in areas covered by another provider.

As far as your phone provider goes, it's up to them if they want to offer DSL in one place and not another. Perhaps your local government can have some influence, or public service commision. Good luck, and I hope better internet comes your way.

Message Edited by prisaz on 04-09-2009 02:44 PM
0 Likes