Re: Incapable residential DSL support? Just lost Verizon a potential 250k/yr in business accounts
PATechie

I am having the same problem.  Initially a tech totally miswired all my jacks. Got it fixed, but I still do not get 10Mbps. At the NID it reads up to 13, when they run a line test.  In the we morning I get 6, 7 or 8 for 15 minutes after 6 am, then it drops as low as .22 Mbps.  Sometimes I get 1, but I am paying for 10Mbps.  Went to this web site and here are the results.  Any suggestions?  I am using a Netgear modem/router DM111PSP2 and a Linksys Router.

Test conditions
Tester: 64.9.225.1xx (64.9.225.1xx) [?]
Target: pool-108-52-76-xx.phlapa.east.verizon.net (108.52.76.xx) [?]
Logfile base name: ::ffff:108.52.76.xx-2013-01-06-06:09:18 [?]
This report is based on a 10 Mb/s target application data rate [?]
Warning: The section RTT is greater than the requested target RTT (123 > 20) [?]
This report is based on a 124 ms Round-Trip-Time (RTT) to the target application [?]
Original target RTT was: 20 ms. [?]
The Round Trip Time for this path section is 123.000000 ms.
The Maximum Segment Size for this path section is 1452 Bytes. [?]
Target host TCP configuration test: Fail! [?]
Warning: TCP connection is not using RFC1323 timestamps. [?]
Critical Failure: Received window scale is 2, it should be 3. [?]
Diagnosis: The target (client) is not properly configured. [?]
> See TCP tuning instructions at ://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/ [?]
Path measurements [?]
The path to the tester is too long for accurate measurements.
> Test a shorter path section or reduce the target data rate and/or RTT. [?]
Data rate test: Fail! [?]
The maximum data rate was 1.184811 Mb/s. [?]
This is below the target rate (10.000000 Mb/s). [?]
This test did not complete due to other problems with the path, target or tester.
> Correct other problems first, and then rerun this test. [?]
Loss rate test: Pass! [?]
Pass: zero losses in 2289 packets, loss rate less than 0.043687%. [?]
FYI: To get 10 Mb/s with a 1452 byte MSS on a 124 ms path the total end-to-end loss budget is 0.165563% (604 packets between losses). [?]
Suggestions for alternate tests
FYI: This path may pass with a less strenuous application: [?]
Try rate=1 Mb/s, rtt=328 ms
Or if you can raise the MTU: [?]
Try rate=1 Mb/s, rtt=2035 ms, mtu=9000 bytes
Network buffering test: Warning! [?]
This test did not complete due to other problems with the path, target or tester.
> Correct other problems first, and then rerun this test. [?]
Estimated queue size is at least: Pkts: 34 Bytes: 49368
This is probably an underestimate of the actual queue size. [?]
This corresponds to a 351.000000 ms drain time. [?]
To get 10 Mb/s with on a 124 ms path, you need 155000 bytes of buffer space. [?]
> Localize all path problems by testing progressively smaller sections of the full path. [?]
Tester validation: Pass! [?]
No internal tester problems were detected.
Tester version: $Id: pathdiag.py,v 1.47 2009/06/10 21:19:57 mathis Exp $
0 Likes
Re: Incapable residential DSL support? Just lost Verizon a potential 250k/yr in business accounts
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

When Verizon is running your line tests are they checking to see if the DSLAM, edge router or other equipment in between are seeing any sort of congestion? If your modem is holding the 10Mbps sync rate and you have a good SNR with a lack of errors the issue is most definitely on their end. That would be true for as long as nothing on your computer is consuming data enough to completely slow your service down that far.

0 Likes
jp78945
Enthusiast - Level 2

For those affected by the original problem in zip 78945:

Some very helpful folks on this forum and some select individuals within the Verizon enterprise have firmly concluded that the problem experienced in our area is indeed congestion.  Although unfortunately misled via an unfilled Q3 2012 upgrade, engineering has, according to reliable source, scheduled work for Q2 2013.

For a laugh, feel free to glance at the "peak window" test results collected since 12/2012.  While you'll typically notice a 1 - 2 Mbps result in these windows, understand that the inconsistency and unreliability of the connection makes streaming audio and video virtually impossible.  As suggested, I plan to communicate with city/county councils, newspapers, and mail lists.  I also periodically work with the engineers from central Texas on occasion while installing T1s, and may pick their brain on regional contacts that might follow through on the work.

The past 1.5 years of trouble reinforces the fact that Verizon employs a number of technicians willing to go the extra mile. However, the company's structure prevents them from providing/supporting marketed products.  I wish those individuals the best.  I only regret that all business I might have possibly sent their employer's direction is, at least in the near term, completely lost.

0 Likes