Initial FIOS Internet only PC to Router hook up question ??
Canufixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I've ordered Fios Internet and Phone) for my home.   The house is NOT wired for internet - and has never had cable or any other service other than Analog Phones.

As I have no wiring for my PC (except the old snail modem / phone jack) - I have a question on the installtion of the wireless router to my only PC.     I was hoping that by buying a wireless adapter for this single PC will allow me NOT to have to run cable throught he walls (PC to Router).     Or in other words the single PC will just hook wirelessly to the wireless router and make the need of a cable un necessary????

Also - I've purchased a USB wireless n adapter linksys dual band AE3000 usb adapter (Better than I need but wanted to be sure to get better reception than  a cheapie ...   - Will this fill the requirements for the above ???

Thanks

Canufixit

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Initial FIOS Internet only PC to Router hook up question ??
Canufixit
Enthusiast - Level 2
From dslreports.com All FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » 1.2 Installation This SectionWhat equipment does Verizon install No. FiOS is wired to your home, then converted from fiber to video, internet, and telephone in the ONT. • Video (except VOD) is always delivered over coax. Verizon STBs require a coax connection to the Verizon router to provide their internet connection for VOD, guide data, widgets and other features. .................................................. • Internet can be delivered over cat5 or coax (MOCA) which connects to a Verizon provided wireless router. You then connect your computer to the router via Cat5 cabling or by wireless. ................................................................. • POTS or FIOS Digital Voice (FDV) connects from the ONT to your inside phone wiring, usually through your existing copper NID.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

The physical router has to sit somewhere. 

They will be installing a terminal(ONT) on a wall near where the fiber will enter the premises. 

I have heard of people putting a small shelf in that area and setting up the router there. Just need to make sure the wireless signal will reach your PC from that location.

However for the installation to go smoothly for you it would be best to temporarily setup the PC in the area where the ONT will be located so you can hard wire the PC to the router for initial setup. Once everything is running fine then you can setup wireless and move the PC to its long term location.

However.. I'd really examine the option of running a coax or lan cable to the location of the PC as you will lose some of your fancy new high speeds going wireless only.

0 Likes
Canufixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

0 Likes
Canufixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

Thanks.

I do understand that the Ont will be probably installed outside - and the wireless router probably inside the on the basement wall next to the inside box/batttery backup.

What I need to know if wireless only from the router to my PC will work without a cable (otherwise I'll have to cancel my appointment and do a messy cable pull  thought the walls/crawl spaces.)  MUST  runa cable for the install guy or not ?? Will just wireless be fine ??  I Thought the initial setup was to be done by the install guy (using his laptop pc to hook to the modem and do custom install stuff AT the router ..... ??

I am not aware of any drop in "fancy new suff" due to differences between a hard wire and wireless connection ... please explain??

0 Likes
marc35655
Contributor - Level 1

Sorry that was phrased poorly.

If you are paying for 75/35 you won't be getting those speeds on your wireless connection 

0 Likes
Canufixit
Enthusiast - Level 2

Perhaps if I start over

Is there some one from Verizon or perhaps someone that is a present/past installer for verizon that can please assist me with a couple questions ???

1.) I've ordered Fios Internet and Phone (15/5) for my home (To installed by VERIZON).   The house is NOT wired for internet - and has never had cable or any other service other than Analog Phones.

As I do not have wiring in my walls for my PC (except the old snail modem / phone jack),   I have a question regarding the installtion of the wireless router to my only PC.    

I was hoping that by buying a wireless adapter for this single PC it will allow me NOT to have to run cable throught he walls (PC to Router).     Or in other words the single PC will just hook wirelessly to the wireless router and make the need of a cable un necessary????   If I MUST add wiring - I'll have to push out my installation date with Verizon and install the wiring myself (not preferred.) before they can proceed ....

2.)   Also , due to the above, - I've purchased a USB wireless n adapter linksys dual band AE3000 usb adapter (Better than I need but wanted to be sure to get better reception than  a cheapie ...   - Will this fill the requirements for the above ???    (N version, up to 450MBS (or max of my router capability in this case). Dual band, 128 encryption .....    as I said,  I'm upgrading from a 56K modem .....

I've searched all over and cannot find this specific piece of info ....

Thanks All!

Canufixit

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I've always assumed that V would install the router where you wanted it (and hence the cabling). Perhaps I am wrong.

Sure, you can connect with wireless only.  But if you have initial problems it is going to be harder to troubleshoot.  And that dual-band N adapter is probably going to be overkill for the router in that the router will not likely be N compatible. And a USB version may not have the range capability to reach your basement. If you have an empty slot, you might want to think about an internal unit that has a 'rubber ducky' antenna on it for better reception.

I'm assuming from your description that you have an older PC that does not have a network interface (ethernet) port? And that you've never installed or used any of the network software and drivers yet? What OS are you running?

0 Likes
Canufixit
Enthusiast - Level 2
From dslreports.com All FAQs » Verizon Online FiOS FAQ » 1.2 Installation This SectionWhat equipment does Verizon install No. FiOS is wired to your home, then converted from fiber to video, internet, and telephone in the ONT. • Video (except VOD) is always delivered over coax. Verizon STBs require a coax connection to the Verizon router to provide their internet connection for VOD, guide data, widgets and other features. .................................................. • Internet can be delivered over cat5 or coax (MOCA) which connects to a Verizon provided wireless router. You then connect your computer to the router via Cat5 cabling or by wireless. ................................................................. • POTS or FIOS Digital Voice (FDV) connects from the ONT to your inside phone wiring, usually through your existing copper NID.
0 Likes